Author Topic: Inexpensive Flash Dryer  (Read 846 times)

Offline BartJY

• Verified/Junior
Inexpensive Flash Dryer
« on: August 18, 2018, 10:07:36 AM »
Hi Folks,

Has anyone had any experience with these inexpensive units? https://www.ebay.com/i/332498115087?chn=ps

What do you think? Worth getting or should I spend my money elsewhere?

Thanks
Bart

Offline Mr Tees!!

Re: Inexpensive Flash Dryer
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2018, 10:32:10 AM »
I had a cal-rod unit like this on my first Brown all-in-one unit. VERY inconsistent heat. In hindsight I would avoid at all costs 
Thanks TSB gang!!

...Sean, Mr Tees!!!

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2018, 10:35:05 AM »
Even if these dryers utilized proper IR panels, I almost always recommend quality name brand used over cheap new.
In the case of a flash dryer, if you want to go cheaper, and have the DIY ability, buy a panel from someone like BBC or INTEK and  build a sturdy stand.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2018, 12:44:42 PM »
Even if these dryers utilized proper IR panels, I almost always recommend quality name brand used over cheap new.
In the case of a flash dryer, if you want to go cheaper, and have the DIY ability, buy a panel from someone like BBC or INTEK and  build a sturdy stand.

You can go that route, our first one was a Chromalux 12" panel, with an SCR controller that used a thermocouple that inserted right into the panel. We put it on a metal framework stand that was solid. There were no commercial units available at the time, so we really had to build it. 6 months to a year later the commercial units started to show up. We've never built another one since...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2018, 03:39:06 PM »
These are horrible. Call intek and have them send you a panel in whatever size makes sense for your needs and build the stand and housing. Cheapest route for a worthwhile flash.

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2018, 04:45:33 PM »
What everyone above said.

These units basically use a modified Kitchen Oven Element wrapped up in a housing.
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline BartJY

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2018, 06:31:02 PM »
These are horrible. Call intek and have them send you a panel in whatever size makes sense for your needs and build the stand and housing. Cheapest route for a worthwhile flash.

Do you have a link for Intek?

Thanks

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2018, 06:54:53 PM »

Thanks

Google is your friend
http://intekcorp.com/heaters-heating-elements/
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline hoogie

• feel free to email hoogies@bnin.net
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2018, 08:10:15 AM »

Thanks

Google is your friend
http://intekcorp.com/heaters-heating-elements/

Plus one for Intekcorp. Talked to them the other day, they know there stuff new panels on there way.
Hoogie...