Author Topic: Dryer/Oven Shutdown Procedure - Shut Gas Valve Daily?  (Read 717 times)

Offline Admiral

Dryer/Oven Shutdown Procedure - Shut Gas Valve Daily?
« on: August 24, 2018, 04:11:51 PM »
Simple question, do you guys turn off the gas ball valve going to the dryer daily when production is done?

Writing some SOP's and we did for the old Sprint 2000, now we have 2 dryers in the new building.

Offline californiadreamin

• !!!
Re: Dryer/Oven Shutdown Procedure - Shut Gas Valve Daily?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2018, 04:34:07 PM »
Simple Answer Yes!
NFPA 86 with is the national saftey code for ovens and furnaces says yes.
Anytime oven is unattended, for more than a short period of time, it must be off.
God forbid you had a problem, very doubtfull your insurance company would cover your loss.
Happy Printing
Winston

Offline Admiral

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2018, 05:46:04 PM »
Simple Answer Yes!
NFPA 86 with is the national saftey code for ovens and furnaces says yes.
Anytime oven is unattended, for more than a short period of time, it must be off.
God forbid you had a problem, very doubtfull your insurance company would cover your loss.
Happy Printing
Winston

Thanks for the confirmation, will stick to normal procedure!

It's of course always better safe than sorry but we have had a couple ball valves leak from repetitive use - on the compressed air line at least - and no it wasn't at the NPT thread and it was a quality brand.

Kinda makes me think of getting natural gas + carbon monoxide detectors instead of just the monoxide. Like this then:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/First-Alert-Plug-In-Explosive-Gas-and-Carbon-Monoxide-Alarm-with-Digital-Display-GCO1CN/202433880?cm_mmc=Shopping%7CG%7CBase%7CD27E%7C27-5_SAFETY-SECURITY%7CNA%7CPLA%7CFireSafety%7c71700000034238978%7c58700003943782706%7c92700031956830989&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsrXeidSG3QIVTr7ACh29OQWfEAQYAyABEgINefD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=COOX3o7Uht0CFUSuTwodKBkJtQ

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2018, 08:38:30 AM »
My gas valve is a tap, I stuck a 20" pope onto it painted red so we can see from easily if it's on or off.
We also have a tap on our main water inlet painted red.
Whoever locks up has to sign a check list that's next to were they switch on the alarm and tick that they switched off the gas and the water.
I don't know what our regulations are but I'm not taking chances.
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il