Author Topic: Wheels for an M&R Sidewinder?  (Read 705 times)

Offline BrazosDesigns

Wheels for an M&R Sidewinder?
« on: August 26, 2018, 02:45:17 PM »
Anyone know of a set of rolling casters/wheels with locks for an M&R Sidewinder?  I am going to need to move my press around, and probably pretty often, so need a set.  I don't know the thread size/dimensions and hoping someone can help me out.  Hopefully Grainger or the like will have something.

Thanks!
Darren

Offline kirkwad

• Verified/Junior
Re: Wheels for an M&R Sidewinder?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2018, 02:55:14 PM »
Reference the manual & find the feet. The manual, or the M&R store, will list the bolt & thread size. Go to www.mcmaster.com or Grainger & find locking wheels with the same bolt & thread size as the feet are listed for.

Putting wheels on a manual may cause leveling problems & make it harder to have your press leveled precisely when on uneven surfaces.

Offline CGS

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2018, 09:56:56 PM »
Thread size for the legs is:  5/8-11

Locking casters are a must and make sure you're thread size is long enough to bring the base level .

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2018, 11:27:05 PM »
I forget where I bought mine, but it was a referral from these boards and way cheaper than the obvious sources like grainger. I'll try to find it tomorrow.

Offline BrazosDesigns

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2018, 10:20:19 PM »
Found some - and they should be here early next week.   

5/8-11 is correct.  I checked Grainger and other places, but ended up doing an internet search and ended up at castercity.com

http://shop.castercity.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=K3APB4BX-ML

I called and spoke with someone who recommended the above due to the weight and that it would be stationary 99.9% of the time.  He recommended polyolefin and a total lock brake that locked the wheel and swivel all together. Put the 1 3/4" stem on the 4" wheel which has a 5" overall height, with stem at total of 6 3/4".  I have the sidewinder 5" off the ground (to botton of leg and could go a bit lower right now).  With a 15% discount code for calling in, shipping, it's just around $90 for the 4 shipped.

I'll keep you updated when I get them in.

Now - I need 4 more sleeve platens and (6) 10-12" youth platens.  Trying to find a machine shop to cut some 6061 aluminum to save some money.....unless someone has some for sale cheap.

Thanks!