Author Topic: Rob in California (SF Bay)  (Read 1286 times)

Offline gotshirtz001

Rob in California (SF Bay)
« on: September 05, 2018, 04:51:49 PM »
Hello,
My name is Rob and I am a full-time firefighter with a side hustle focused on providing on-duty and off-duty wear to public safety agencies (Police/Fire/EMS).
I had a small manual screen printing operation which I started in the mid-90s when I graduated high school and spent the next 15 years using the equipment as an on-again/off-again side gig before unloading everything to focus on more career stability. I got back into the game mid-2017 when I brokered a larger job which led me to my current business model. I reopened a production area in early 2018 and run the business as a mixed operation; printing some jobs in-house and outsourcing others. I teach workshops on screen printing basics with an emphasis on what to look for when purchasing used equipment. I also offer an option to rent time in my shop or purchase from a variety of used equipment I have on-hand.

Current equipment:
2004 M&R Chameleon 6/4 w side air clamps
2016 M&R Sidewinder 6/4 w side air clamps
2008 M&R Economax 2 (3 panel)
Hopkins RedAir 20x20 Auto Flash (two of these)
NuArc MSP3140
SWF BT1201C Embroidery

I anticipate upgrading to a small automatic (8/10) and adding a 4 or 6 head embroidery to the operation by the end of 2020.

So far I really enjoy that this board has a lot of experienced and helpful people who are focused on improving quality and efficiency rather than simply trying to figure out a way to build DIY equipment out of 2x4s, tin cans and shop lights within their $136.89 budget.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 05:55:03 PM by gotshirtz001 »
I'm flexible until I'm not

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: Rob in California (SF Bay)
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2018, 05:02:23 PM »

So far I really enjoy that this board has a lot of experienced and helpful people who are focused on improving quality and efficiency rather than simply trying to figure out a way to build DIY equipment out of 2x4s, tin cans and shop lights within their $136.89 budget.

I'm glad that you "get it". When we started this place, we had some large shoes to fill after the demise of one the industry's original and best forums was taken over and systematically destroyed. On the other hand, we wanted to distance ourselves from the other main big forum (as well as You tube efforts) that definitely targeted those DIY Newbies who also refused to use the search functions and brought up the same tired discussions about curing plastisol in the their kitchen ovens!
We still welcome newbies, but damn it, even on a budget, it can still be done right!
Oh yeah, welcome aboard!

and I'm across the bay in Walnut Creek
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?