Author Topic: Screen print on life vests?  (Read 1549 times)

Offline BrazosDesigns

Screen print on life vests?
« on: September 06, 2018, 11:15:07 PM »
Hey guys -

A local volunteer rescue squad wants me to screen print their company name (or initials) on some nylon life vests:

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/dbx-mens-vector-series-nylon-life-vest-16dbxmvctrm4bcklnwsr/16dbxmvctrm4bcklnwsr?

They originally said white print, and my first thought was making plastisol transfers with Wilflex Epic LC Single white and transfer powder to keep the temp down.  But then they inquired about a reflective ink.

What would you recommend for either white or reflective?

Would you recommend a heat transfer vinyl like Siser Reflective?  Transfers at 305.

I told them I would print or apply the desired name/logo for the cost of any ink or materials I needed to buy and would donate my time.  They helped out down here during the Harvey recovery last year.

I've never done HTV or screen printing on life jackets  - worried about any melting.  Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Darren

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Screen print on life vests?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2018, 06:04:18 AM »

A little confusing as reflective suggests the obvious but that vest offers so little area to add graphics the value of reflective is questionable. Possibly more for identification / ownership but I don't see the territory for effective , reflective placement.

Stahls makes vinyl specifically for nylon, I would think putting this down on the nylon is your best opportunity for success. Not sure you can get it in reflective but if not possibly then add the reflective over the first down nylon film.
Second thought,  add the reflective to a piece of canvas or similar fabric then applique' sew the canvas patch to the vest the back panel area looks like your best opportunity for the applique' method.
mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2018, 09:27:01 AM »
Vinyl probably won't work.  The heat needed to get the vinyl to stick will probably melt the inner core...I tested it on some chairs for myself a long time ago.

I don't see how you would even get a screen close enough to print it with all of the straps and everything.  This would be a better pad print item I would think.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2018, 10:15:32 AM »
I also wonder if there are any regulations about putting approved safety devices like this through any heat process.
Are their any cold vinyls that use adhesive aggressive enough to be durable?
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Croft

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2018, 11:15:53 AM »
I've done them before for a local mfg. but I printed panels . Used ink and nylabond I have a sample I did 10years ago the fabric has faded but the print is still awesome:)

I would not Iron it will more than likely crush the closed cell foam inside making it useless. You could possibly get away with a course mesh and one hit of white but that would be risky and would need to be a simple design.

Online ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2018, 11:31:11 AM »
This is the kind of thing I wouldn't mess with, like fire rated clothing.

The likelihood of something happening is extremely small, but when tragedy strikes
blame finds the deepest pockets, and those pockets find the guy that altered the safety product.

Offline im_mcguire

• !!!
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2018, 01:22:27 PM »
This is the kind of thing I wouldn't mess with, like fire rated clothing.

The likelihood of something happening is extremely small, but when tragedy strikes
blame finds the deepest pockets, and those pockets find the guy that altered the safety product.
We passed up a 500 piece job printing life vests for this reason.
It just wasnt worth the money. Piece of mind though...

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2018, 02:02:06 PM »
I wouldn't print these, but we do fire retardant stuff all the time.  There are a few things to remember...

Use FR Thread or FR ink additive.

If the garment develops or has any holes it is no longer approved for FR wear.

I wouldn't do life vests...that seems risky.  It would be better done as flat goods that were sewn into vests.

Offline BrazosDesigns

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2018, 06:32:28 PM »
Thanks for the input.  The safety/liability issue is always something to consider, even when you are donating!  I'll pass along info to the group and suggest they might want to have another strap, or shirt over the jacket with their info.  I'll also mention they might add some reflective vinyl with their silhouette machine that one of them has, that way the liability is on them.

Thanks!