Author Topic: Air compressor and chiller  (Read 2570 times)

Online brandon

• Gonzo Member
Re: Air compressor and chiller
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2018, 11:04:21 PM »
I meant to type go with that, and get the twist / lock piping (I can't remember what it is called) this way you can reconstruct it for a closed loop if needed for a second auto. Congratulations! That's awesome

Offline Binkspot

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2018, 08:21:03 PM »
A little Quincy 14 CFM 3.5hp compressor will run about $800 plus shipping. A good dryer like a Zeks full cycling will cost about $1200. Add a general purpose filter before the dryer with a changeable element, about $150

MK you are wasting your money if you are still using air impacts, get a good Milwaukee cordless. It will out do just about any similarly sized air impact.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2018, 09:27:04 AM »
MK you are wasting your money if you are still using air impacts, get a good Milwaukee cordless. It will out do just about any similarly sized air impact.

I've got a makita at the house.  It's fantastic.  I like the cheap throw-aways for here for the 2 times a year I need them.  The last thing I need is another set of cordless tools.

I should have said something about the nibbler, cut-off wheel, tire inflators or something like that instead.

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2018, 10:15:45 AM »

I've got a makita at the house.  It's fantastic.  I like the cheap throw-aways for here for the 2 times a year I need them.  The last thing I need is another set of cordless tools.

I should have said something about the nibbler, cut-off wheel, tire inflators or something like that instead.

Nibbler and cut off wheels are the jam. I love air tools, sounds like Monroe Muffler in here some days....
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2018, 10:37:30 AM »

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2018, 11:07:34 AM »
Ah, impact wrenches...the reason I learned to not take my cars to oil change shops.
Every single car I did had stripped out threads on the mounting holes where the gravel pans attach.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2018, 11:21:25 AM »
Ah, impact wrenches...the reason I learned to not take my cars to oil change shops.
Every single car I did had stripped out threads on the mounting holes where the gravel pans attach.

My MG is only supposed to get the lugs torqued to 36 lbs of torque.  I use a torque wrench while setting them.  The tire shops never do and without fail, I get 2-3 stripped lugs.  They pay the bill to have them re-pressed into the hub since they can't follow instructions.

Offline lancasterprinthouse

« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2018, 09:49:07 AM »

have a little experience with both Kaser and Atlas Copco
both are very good machines
as a reference
https://www.aircompressorsdirect.com/Atlas-Copco-GX4-150T-AP-208-230-460-Air-Compressor/p15811.html?utm_term=1581115811&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0pur3s53QIVDoJpCh3mfArFEAQYAiABEgJ9g_D_BwE
mooseman

Moose, looking to buy a compressor and my press needs 21.5 cfm at 100psi. I noticed this one is 16.5 cfm at 150psi. I dont know anything about cfm but does the cfm increase as the psi goes down? Also, this compressor does not have a chiller correct?

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2018, 10:04:08 AM »

have a little experience with both Kaser and Atlas Copco
both are very good machines
as a reference
https://www.aircompressorsdirect.com/Atlas-Copco-GX4-150T-AP-208-230-460-Air-Compressor/p15811.html?utm_term=1581115811&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0pur3s53QIVDoJpCh3mfArFEAQYAiABEgJ9g_D_BwE
mooseman

Moose, looking to buy a compressor and my press needs 21.5 cfm at 100psi. I noticed this one is 16.5 cfm at 150psi. I dont know anything about cfm but does the cfm increase as the psi goes down? Also, this compressor does not have a chiller correct?
it will go up, but not as much as you think. . . There is probably a rating somewhere in the spec sheet. My guess is 125 psi at 100 if it's doing 100 at 150.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline BRGtshirts

« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2018, 11:52:44 AM »
As others have already mentioned, think on down the road for the air compressor. You'll love it when you start wanting to setup new machinery that needs air.

Our compressor history.. We have a Kaeser compressor w/ storage tank that has been amazing for past 12-15 yrs. After almost 40 years printing, my dad (who started our biz) still puts it down as his favorite purchase, haha. Over the years we've been adding more to it. Originally it was running only a single auto, then single auto and split belt dryer, then added a CTS... Now with two autos, dryer, CTS, and a Unikote we added this year it's finally maxed out.  and we had to use a backup that was already in place for embroidery.  All we do is check oil a few times a year and change a belt when we need to.

not writing this to push that type or anything, only to say that a good compressor with a storage tank will give you lots of options moving forward.