Author Topic: washing out inks out of stencil  (Read 967 times)

Offline yoonbokim

• Verified/Junior
washing out inks out of stencil
« on: September 17, 2018, 12:48:26 PM »
Hey guys,

So I am screen printing plastisol ink only.

Do you guys wash the plastisol ink out of the screen/stencil after the end of every work day?

If not, how often do you guys wash the ink out?

What is the max amount of time I can leave plastisol ink on a screen/stencil?

Thanks guys!

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: washing out inks out of stencil
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 01:18:48 PM »
you can leave the ink (plastisol without any additives) indefinitely.
We reclaim daily, but have screens that are several years old and are used on regular bases without reclaiming (repeat orders).

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2018, 07:32:18 PM »
scrape out the leftover ink with a card, a putty knife (dull the edge and corners) a cake frosting spreader (restraunt supply) spatula, playing cards, old credit cards, etc. Dump it back into your ink bucket.
Take an old tee shirt ( we use a shirt of many colors) wipe up the remaining ink that saves on some chemicals. Reclaim the screen or like Pierre said you can leave the ink in the screen until you are too old to care about it any more. the only draw back of that is it will collect dust, bugs, the occasional homeless guy.
mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2018, 11:12:47 PM »
scrape out the leftover ink with a card, a putty knife (dull the edge and corners) a cake frosting spreader (restraunt supply) spatula, playing cards, old credit cards, etc. Dump it back into your ink bucket.
Take an old tee shirt ( we use a shirt of many colors) wipe up the remaining ink that saves on some chemicals. Reclaim the screen or like Pierre said you can leave the ink in the screen until you are too old to care about it any more. the only draw back of that is it will collect dust, bugs, the occasional homeless guy.
mooseman

I have found ink left in/on the screen for extended periods tends to attract small insects and gnats (Like Moose says).  What you can do to slow hold them off is to carefully lay a sheet of newspaper across the top of the screen and scotch tape to the back (back clamp knob) and to the front of the screen frame to suspend the newspaper sheet ABOVE the ink - DO NOT LET THE NEWSPAPER LAY IN THE INK OR IT WILL START TO PULL THE PLASTICIZERS FROM THE INK LIKE A BLOTTER.  Seems to be some kind of reaction between the Plastisol and the ink on the newspaper.  Once that happens, the ink will start to harden and essentially be useless for printing.  Don't ask me how I know that.
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers