Author Topic: Translucent gray  (Read 1405 times)

Offline Mitchel

• Verified/Junior
  • www.promotionsgma.com
Translucent gray
« on: September 19, 2018, 10:22:23 AM »
Hi All

I have a costomer who wants print a translucent gray on this t-shirt , he says, that the color of the t-shiret must appear a little.

Any of you have already made this?

In my head am not sure we can do that? but not sure. :-\

Thanks
Michel,

Offline Mitchel

• Verified/Junior
  • www.promotionsgma.com
Re: Translucent gray
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2018, 10:24:02 AM »
picture is only for view, is not this logo we want print.

Offline Prince Art

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 10:33:38 AM »
I haven't had the need to do it, but I'd test print a clear base or curable reducer. If that wasn't dark enough, I'd tint the base slightly with black or dark grey. (This assumes you're printing on light grey shirts, as in the photo.) The other step to let the shirt color show through is print a single pass on a high mesh. Hard duro squeegee can help, too.
Nice guys laugh last.

Offline im_mcguire

• !!!
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2018, 10:43:34 AM »
I haven't had the need to do it, but I'd test print a clear base or curable reducer. If that wasn't dark enough, I'd tint the base slightly with black or dark grey. (This assumes you're printing on light grey shirts, as in the photo.) The other step to let the shirt color show through is print a single pass on a high mesh. Hard duro squeegee can help, too.
Yes. We have done this by printing chino base or softee base straight onto the shirt.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2018, 10:52:31 AM »
This is also a way I use up (albeit small amounts) of my mis-match/leftover ink blend. Unfortunately, my shop has always had a bucket of this grayish mess.  This, added to a lot of softhand base is great for these "tone on tone" prints.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2018, 11:37:34 AM »
Yes, clear base, and I'd add a small amount of black to it as I don't think clear by itself would look quite like that picture, but this is why we test, yes?

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Mitchel

• Verified/Junior
  • www.promotionsgma.com
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2018, 02:37:59 PM »
thank you very much for your advises :D
as you say, I'm going to try the clear base with some black to have this effect.

Michel,
GMA Serigraphie

Offline DannyGruninger

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2018, 03:35:54 PM »
Waterbase is the only way to go for this..... In my experience with chino base, reducer, etc after one wash it fades and becomes super fibulated. Matsui 301 clear base plus .5% dark blue pigment for that look is what we would do here

Danny Gruninger
Denver Print House / Lakewood Colorado
https://www.instagram.com/denverprinthouse

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2018, 06:27:09 PM »
For long term washability - Danny is 100% correct.

I used to do that printing weekly.  I used Rutland Primer clear with .5% C3 black concentrate.  It would fibrelate after 3-5 washes and look faded.

Waterbase HSA clear will give you better long term fibre matte with a super soft hand.
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline Mitchel

• Verified/Junior
  • www.promotionsgma.com
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2018, 03:55:31 PM »

ok! I never print water base ??? Colin that the way i'll go whit the Rutland, thank to advime me for the fibrelate,
question : You say primer .. it is the same, prime or clear base ?

Thank
Michel,

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2018, 11:09:36 PM »
The full product name is Ultra Soft Primer Clear.

It has better long term fiber matte qualities than the other ultrasoft inks out there.
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.