Author Topic: exposure unit w/o lid  (Read 1069 times)

Offline yoonbokim

• Verified/Junior
exposure unit w/o lid
« on: September 20, 2018, 09:01:12 AM »
Does anyone here have a exposure unit with a lid

How do you guys apply the pressure to really squeeze the design on film against the UV light from the exposure unit and the screen?

I saw someone put: a cloth on top of the screen --> wood peice that matches the size of your screen --> putting 2 gallons of water on top of it to apply the necessary pressure

Any better cost-efficient methods you guys have?

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
Re: exposure unit w/o lid
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2018, 09:41:56 AM »
Of course the ideal exposure unit would have a blanket and vacuum but until you can get that, you can do what you're talking about.  I've seen people use wood and dumbbells on top as well. 
It's not a job if you love doing it.

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2018, 09:47:25 AM »
The number 1 feature of a really good exposure unit is a vacuum top.
This will really come into play on halftones and details that could otherwise get undercut due to poor contact between film emulsion and the stencil material.

In other words, the more pressure that you can  put, sandwiching the screen stencil/film positive, and glass together, the better.

Many newbies, at least bypass the shop light and piece of glass with a unit that is essentially a light table, and then proceed like you described with foam, black cloth, and weights.

A big leap forward over that method would be a compression lid. If you are a bootstrap DIY'r here's a pic to inspire a project.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2018, 12:53:32 PM »
yoonbokim, I know your new here and all asking tons of questions which is the right thing to do, but your vibe is kind off to me, I've read a few of your post, auto press looking to get another possible adding a second, but yet you didn't purchase a nice exposure unit?  Seems like you might be getting ahead of yourself or you have deep pockets and know one to guide you the right way, if I'm speaking out of line I apologize.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2018, 01:15:24 PM »
3deep, you're not out of line, as long as you come off polite and respectful as you did.
I, in fact, commented as soon as I saw mention of a two color print, that our new friend was seemingly putting the cart before the horse, and diving in too deeply without any foundation on which to build.

I wish that yoonbokim would start over here, telling us in detail exactly what equipment he has, what he hopes to accomplish, and allow us to guide him a bit, but starting at the beginning, or step one.

I still stand by these steps I suggested at the time. (we can only give advice, not force folks to take it)

1. 1  dark color print on a light shirt.
2. 1 color white on a dark shirt.
3.  2 or more colors on a light shirt
4. 2 or more colors on a dark shirt
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?