Author Topic: Pantone 817  (Read 1608 times)

Offline Croft

Pantone 817
« on: September 24, 2018, 02:26:17 PM »
What do you use to reproduce pantone 817 gold?  I have had a couple of customers wanting it and not keen on the Wilflex metallic gold I have here. Not interested in the liquid gold because of the tarnish issue.

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: Pantone 817
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2018, 03:47:55 PM »
What do you use to reproduce pantone 817 gold?  I have had a couple of customers wanting it and not keen on the Wilflex metallic gold I have here. Not interested in the liquid gold because of the tarnish issue.

First, are you sure that it is 817 you want and not 871?
Next, if you don't want to deal with tarnishing, and or sealing it with a coat of clear, you don't want metallic, but rather a Shimmer. Small plastic flakes instead of metal powder.
One Stroke seems to have the widest selection of shimmers that I have seen. 180 series.
And that's where I got copper when I needed it. That copper also allows for modifying the yellower golds when needed, though they have a bunch of golds.
What you need is a color card from them (or for that matter, any of the ink companies) to have something to compare their offerings to 817 (or 871)
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2018, 10:41:36 AM »
We tell our customers that we have the shimmer, and that there no way to get the look of gold on a shirt like it is in the Pantone book, this is what we have... it always works out. I guess we haven't come across a customer that cares enough, "as long as it looks metallic..."

Steve

Andy's mention of being able to tone the shimmer with each other is a good idea, if you want to stock a bunch of shimmers for that purpose.
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2018, 11:27:55 AM »
you could also go the foil route. . .

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2018, 12:13:54 PM »
you could also go the foil route. . .

pierre

Is foil sold by Pantone #? And I'm still curious about the possible transposition in the OP's number

Offline DannyGruninger

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2018, 02:30:41 PM »
We get the matsui gold shimmer wb ink and use pigments to color it any color. Between mixing gold/silver wb shimmer with pigment there’s really no metallic we haven’t been able to hit. It’s really cool stuff when you start to play with it.
Danny Gruninger
Denver Print House / Lakewood Colorado
https://www.instagram.com/denverprinthouse

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2018, 04:22:04 PM »
We get the matsui gold shimmer wb ink and use pigments to color it any color. Between mixing gold/silver wb shimmer with pigment there’s really no metallic we haven’t been able to hit. It’s really cool stuff when you start to play with it.

we do the same thing, but it tarnishes. 6 months later it's one pantone shade darker. Had some head scratching moments trying to figure out what happened to our samples!

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2018, 04:41:36 PM »

we do the same thing, but it tarnishes. 6 months later it's one pantone shade darker. Had some head scratching moments trying to figure out what happened to our samples!

pierre

how can plastic shimmer flakes tarnish whether they are in plastisol or water based base?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 07:42:44 PM by Frog »

Offline Tracer275

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2018, 07:39:58 PM »
this?

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2018, 10:16:28 AM »

pierre

how can plastic shimmer flakes tarnish whether they are in plastisol or water based base?

don't ask me, I just print the stuff!
We saved a sample to match the repeat orders and when we pulled it out 6 months later it did not match the ink in the sealed bucket. I blamed my guys for screwing up and had a big fit.
We sorted it out; changed the ink color to match the sample and reprinted.
6 months later, when the reorder came in the shirt did not match the ink again. We checked with the fulfillment center and they found out the color is changing as they sit (without being exposed to the air as they were still in boxes).

pierre

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2018, 10:17:10 AM »