Author Topic: Fan Cooler for the exit feed of a dryer?  (Read 1293 times)

Offline BP

Fan Cooler for the exit feed of a dryer?
« on: September 25, 2018, 03:05:12 PM »
I see that Rynet sales a 3 to 5 fan cooler over the end of a dryer belt. Who else makes them???

SHIRT HAPPENS!

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: Fan Cooler for the exit feed of a dryer?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2018, 03:18:50 PM »
I see that Rynet sales a 3 to 5 fan cooler over the end of a dryer belt. Who else makes them???

First one I've seen commercially made and marketed. Over the years, I've seen this as a DIY project, ranging from as slick as Ryonet's with a series of pancake fans. to bungie-corded table fans.
Interestingly, it's the cheapest, smallest dryers with the least out-feed that need this the most, and those owners are often the least likely to go fancy on this as well.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2018, 04:18:13 PM »

got a link?

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2018, 04:24:59 PM »
I've posted this before, but been a couple years back.  Cost about $75.  Diagram included along with temp drops.

Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2018, 04:38:23 PM »

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2018, 04:40:26 PM »
I've posted this before, but been a couple years back.  Cost about $75.  Diagram included along with temp drops.

No, as you can see via my link,  this one does not suck heat away and vent it, these fans actually blow on the shirts to cool off the print before they drop into the bin.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2018, 06:56:36 PM »
Wouldn't this still suck the air out of the tunnel via the vacuum it's creating behind the area it's trying to cool?

Yes, the secondary annoyance of this extra heat coming off the shirts that this doesn't solve is getting it out of your shop.  Those shirts are 300* coming down that belt and that heat is going straight in the shop, a hood that sucks it out of there would be better in that sense.  Though I'm sure it would actually do a worse job cooling the shirts down though. :(

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2018, 07:21:11 PM »
Dryers with short outfeed can allow shirts with still tacky plastisol ink to fall on to each other or on to themselves and transfer ink or worse, "heat seal" themselves together.
I started with a four foot total length Ranar Scamp, and soon learned that without a fan set up similarly, I would have had real issues with this, especially with heavy, athletic prints with opaque inks.
And, yes, the fan needs to be positioned carefully to not blow cool air into the tunnel and screw up the cure.

Offline kingscreen

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2018, 08:35:54 PM »
Brown Manufacturing has had these for over a decade now. Definitely can’t imagine spending $500 on a box of computer fans.   :o
Scott Garnett
King Screen

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2018, 09:15:09 PM »

Brown Manufacturing has had these for over a decade now. Definitely can’t imagine spending $500 on a box of computer fans.   :o

Roq makes it for their dryers and yes its a BANK OF REALLY LOUD COMPUTER STYLE FANS.. yeah.. as if the fan for the dryer wasn't loud enough, lets add some more fan noise next to the catchers table, who now need ear plugs to drone out the fan noise.

Couple of box fans, some of that pre punched angle stuff, some bolts and make one. Put a 20x20x1 furnace filter ontop of the fans and you got a lint catcher-shirt-cooler-offer device thats quiet and keeps the lint down.
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2018, 11:58:40 AM »
If one searches around, they can probably find similar arrangements for other equipment, we used to have a rack that held 3 of those type fans, pulled out of some piece of unknown equipment.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2018, 04:04:04 PM »
If the goal is to just provide a down flow to cool the shirts before they drop, this - with some simple work to build some kind of frame holder should do the job very economically. 

And it already runs at 120V, eliminating any voltage step down required like most PC fans.

https://www.amazon.com/AC-Infinity-Cooling-Ventilation-Projects/dp/B009OWVUJ0/ref=asc_df_B009OWVUJ0/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167151358503&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3242079210307262042&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9061124&hvtargid=pla-314819640925&psc=1
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2018, 04:32:09 PM »
If the goal is to just provide a down flow to cool the shirts before they drop, this - with some simple work to build some kind of frame holder should do the job very economically. 

And it already runs at 120V, eliminating any voltage step down required like most PC fans.

https://www.amazon.com/AC-Infinity-Cooling-Ventilation-Projects/dp/B009OWVUJ0/ref=asc_df_B009OWVUJ0/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167151358503&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3242079210307262042&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9061124&hvtargid=pla-314819640925&psc=1

The pancake fan that cools and exhausts the controls of my dryer is like that one, but hard wired.
Wire three of four of those together, stick 'em on a nice frame, (maybe even adjustable and/ modular) and voila!

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2018, 07:40:44 PM »
box fan at home depot.. plugs into an outlet. $17 bucks

those smaller fans have a 30db rating.. thats loud, put a few together and it's louder..

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lasko-20-in-3-Speed-Box-Fan-3733/100405665
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 07:43:59 PM by jsheridan »
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2018, 10:28:54 AM »
Dryers with short outfeed can allow shirts with still tacky plastisol ink to fall on to each other or on to themselves and transfer ink or worse, "heat seal" themselves together.
I started with a four foot total length Ranar Scamp, and soon learned that without a fan set up similarly, I would have had real issues with this, especially with heavy, athletic prints with opaque inks.
And, yes, the fan needs to be positioned carefully to not blow cool air into the tunnel and screw up the cure.

I have a stock Radicure don't talk to me about short out feed... I'm literally at 2' of out feed (and I run it reversed, so it would be like 18" default!)

I have one of these that I've disassembled and mounted on the backside blowing across... it's worked.

I've also hung it over the loading area to cool off the printer... last printer claimed he liked to be hot and didn't sweat (his pit stains determined, that was a lie).