Author Topic: how much is a electric and plumbing tech to wire the air compress, air dryer, an  (Read 1011 times)

Offline yoonbokim

• Verified/Junior
Hey guys,

Has anyone ever hired an electrical technician to install a air compressor and a air dryer/chiller for their automatic press? Or a plumber to come and install an 1/2 inch airline(s) for the automatic press?

I'm having both come in tomorrow to help me set up the automatic press, they told me they have to come on the site/warehouse, check it out first, then give me a quote.

So I'm wonder how much you guys paid for these 2 jobs? Just so i have some sort of a price range the base it off of so i know i am not getting over charged.
- electrical tech to install air compressor and air dryer/chiller
- plumber to install air lines
(btw, i already purchase the air compressor and air dryer, so the only ting the techs are getting paid for is setting up the wiring)

Thanks in advanced guys!
Kevin

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
wiring can be from few hundred to tens of thousands of dollars if you need new power. We spent about $12K all together to bring in two additional presses.
Your flashes will draw almost 100A. Add the compressor and the press and you are at close to 150A. If you are running an electric dryer, you will be out of juice by the time you add all the other stuff. Now you are talking a new panel and if you are particularly unlucky, a new set of transformers. Hopefully that's not the case. . .

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline numbercruncher

Your manufacturer should be able to provide some guidance - as Pierre says you need to know your electrical requirements first and a fairly specific shop blue print to handle the logistics after that - there's lots more as I'm sure others will chime in
Michael Jirasek
Independent Consultant
708-227-5084
jirs23m@hotmail.com

Offline larryk

• !!!
Would be a good idea to get  quotes from more than one company. Then you have something to compare too.

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
We spent about 10k installing our first auto, compressor and gas dryer. Our shop was already 400amp 3 phase as well, so this stuff adds up quick. Gas lines, air lines, power to each, venting gas dryer, etc.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
And rates in both TN and OH should be more in line with his new location of NC rather than NYC!
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
We moved our shop back around the first of February; the first electrician quoted 36K, by the time we shopped around, we got it down to 18K. You need to know exactly what you require in order for them to be able to quote. Your press and dryer manufacturers can provide you with that. We also paid $8500 in plumbing and $7500 for riggers, and about another 10K in assorted moving expenses. Gather up the info and get some quotes.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline yoonbokim

• Verified/Junior
Would be a good idea to get  quotes from more than one company. Then you have something to compare too.

I tried doing that but all the technicians/plumbers say they have to come on the site first to give me a quote and they can't even give me a rough estimate... did you get estimates when you reached out to them?

Offline yoonbokim

• Verified/Junior
these numbers are scaring me... but the previous tenants of this warehouse was also screen printing so i am hoping my quote will be a lot less than the quote you guys experienced above.

were your guys' quote so high because you guys had to install more volts/amps into the building itself? is that the bulk of the amount in your quotes? because i cant imagine just installing an air compressor air dryer, and air line can cost thousands of dollars...

Offline Zelko-4-EVA

these numbers are scaring me... but the previous tenants of this warehouse was also screen printing so i am hoping my quote will be a lot less than the quote you guys experienced above.

were your guys' quote so high because you guys had to install more volts/amps into the building itself? is that the bulk of the amount in your quotes? because i cant imagine just installing an air compressor air dryer, and air line can cost thousands of dollars...

depends how far the equipment is located from the circuit panel.  twenty feet of wire costs less than 100 feet. 

i put in 300 feet of 1" copper airline.  valves, tees, elbows add up.  i saved 10,000 by installing it myself, but used that 10,000 (and more) on the electrician upgrading the panel from 800 amps to 2000 amps.

an electrician/plumber wouldnt be able to give you a quote without seeing what will be required. 

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
you need to get 5 quotes total..

toss out the highest and lowest.

then ask the three to re-quote based on the number of the lowest quote.

go with who can do the work in the time you need it done.

learn how to sweat copper or run the new stainless slip fittings lines or the high pressure plastic yourself, use that money to pay the electrician cause that bill is going to be over 10k easy.

Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
Ours was closer to 5k total for plumbing and electric. No gas work though, just electric drops and airlines.

Offline larryk

• !!!

I tried doing that but all the technicians/plumbers say they have to come on the site first to give me a quote and they can't even give me a rough estimate... did you get estimates when you reached out to them?
Of coarse they have to come to your location to give you an accurate estimate and any reputable company will do it no problem. As mentioned above make sure you have all your facts to give them as to the needs of each machine you are installing. Don't let the high prices some are telling you here scare you off.... Some pretty big boys on this board. But there are also quite a few of us Mom and Pop type operations that still prefer to do things ourself. Good luck to you and don't get discouraged.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
I agree with larryK, but I came from a building background so I knew how to wire and run plumbing myself, good luck also.....
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
I know a little about plumbing and wiring too, but not to code from scratch. Minor repairs sure. In the old shop in our first expansion, we did most of that ourselves, including rigging in 2 good sized dryers, but we were 26 years younger then. Now, I'm just too old to be crawling around into positions I might not be able to get out of, lol...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't