Author Topic: Example of "non-HSA" or "Traditonal" WB ink  (Read 1796 times)

Offline redwoodtees

Example of "non-HSA" or "Traditonal" WB ink
« on: September 26, 2018, 03:53:05 PM »
In reading this and other forums, I hear people refer to "HSA" WB inks, which I understand to mean "High Solids Acrylic" inks. I also hear mention of "Traditional" WB inks, or "Non-HSA" inks. But I cannot find any references to specific inks which are "non-HSA". Can anyone provide specific examples of "Non-HSA" inks? It seems like maybe there is a range of inks. For example, I asked a vendor about the Permaset Aqua inks, and I was told these inks are "semi-opaque". What would be an example of a "completely transparent" ink? How is the chemistry different in these inks? Are we talking about the difference between chemical dyes and (acrylic) pigments?

TIA

Chris

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
Re: Example of "non-HSA" or "Traditonal" WB ink
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2018, 03:57:05 PM »
In reading this and other forums, I hear people refer to "HSA" WB inks, which I understand to mean "High Solids Acrylic" inks. I also hear mention of "Traditional" WB inks, or "Non-HSA" inks. But I cannot find any references to specific inks which are "non-HSA". Can anyone provide specific examples of "Non-HSA" inks? It seems like maybe there is a range of inks. For example, I asked a vendor about the Permaset Aqua inks, and I was told these inks are "semi-opaque". What would be an example of a "completely transparent" ink? How is the chemistry different in these inks? Are we talking about the difference between chemical dyes and (acrylic) pigments?

TIA

Chris

You are correct, that HSA is high solid acrylic ink. Traditional waterbased ink, and discharge ink are low solids ink. They aren't as opaque. The difference is the amount of solids inside the ink chems.

i have a pretty cool vid. from a magna seminar i can send you, if you want to dm me.
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline easyrider1340

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2018, 10:07:58 AM »
Ive had similar questions.  So is “regular” water based ink a LOW solids acrylic (LSA)??

Are they both acrylic?  One being opaque (HSA) and one being (somewhat) transparent (LSA)?

Is regular waterbase ink acrylic??

Appreciate the coaching!
Terry

TIA

Chris

You are correct, that HSA is high solid acrylic ink. Traditional waterbased ink, and discharge ink are low solids ink. They aren't as opaque. The difference is the amount of solids inside the ink chems.

i have a pretty cool vid. from a magna seminar i can send you, if you want to dm me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2018, 01:13:11 PM »
Yes, amount of solids.

But the notable difference here is how each ink is intended to work.  Traditional or regular WB inks wick into the fabric.   HSA inks are coatings and need to be built up to a film thickness that works for the application, just like plastisol. 

I don't see too many traditional/regular WB ink prints these days so it might be confusing without a physical reference.  Think of a print that, like discharge, cannot "crack" when you think of traditional WB.  Think of a coating, a printed film on the fabric, when you think of HSA. 

When sourcing product, clarify if it is intended to print on or in the fabric.

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2018, 01:55:55 PM »
Yes, amount of solids.

But the notable difference here is how each ink is intended to work.  Traditional or regular WB inks wick into the fabric.   HSA inks are coatings and need to be built up to a film thickness that works for the application, just like plastisol. 

I don't see too many traditional/regular WB ink prints these days so it might be confusing without a physical reference.  Think of a print that, like discharge, cannot "crack" when you think of traditional WB.  Think of a coating, a printed film on the fabric, when you think of HSA. 

When sourcing product, clarify if it is intended to print on or in the fabric.

This is critical!
Night Owls

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2018, 04:36:18 AM »

TIA

Chris
Sericol used to offer "traditional" waterebase inks back in the late 90s. That`s at least when I used them last.

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2018, 08:42:30 AM »
they still do!
Night Owls

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2018, 12:25:18 PM »
I went to a magna class about 2 months ago.  It was explained that low solids "mostly water" is much less opaque and meant for lighter shirts.  The high solids has more acrylic in it and meant to print like plastisol.  It's much more opaque.  There is an advantage to the high solids in that it has a much shorter cure time then the low solids but in the same note, it's more complicated to work with on press because you have to keep it wet to keep it from drying in the screens.  While I was there, they had 1 employee per screen spraying water from a bottle on the ink.  Also, the highest line count they could go was 45 for the same reason.  The smaller the dot the more likely it would dry and close those dots up.  There are many other factors also but those are the 2 that stuck out the most to me. 
It's not a job if you love doing it.

Offline Cole

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2018, 06:58:53 PM »
Not trying to hijack the post here, but this seems like a good place to ask this questions. Are HSA inks meant for printing on fabric blends? For my shop, I use regular water base for light garments and discharge for darks. The only time I will use HSA is when printing on blends. Also, when underbasing your water based prints, do you usually prints HSA on top? Or will regular water based inks do the job since they're getting printed over an underbase?

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2018, 09:31:24 PM »
Not trying to hijack the post here, but this seems like a good place to ask this questions. Are HSA inks meant for printing on fabric blends? For my shop, I use regular water base for light garments and discharge for darks. The only time I will use HSA is when printing on blends. Also, when underbasing your water based prints, do you usually prints HSA on top? Or will regular water based inks do the job since they're getting printed over an underbase?

It will print on blends just fine.

We don't use a WB base. We use an HSA base, to help get the opacity, as that's one of the goals of using the HSA.

We use HSAs on 100% cotton all the time especially if we need a BRIGHT BOLD highlight color, and if the shirt can't discharge it's an added bonus!
Night Owls

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2018, 10:29:17 PM »
Exactly what Eric just said. And on blends it is our go to. Throw in some warp drive and you can have a potential winner of a print.

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2018, 09:40:07 AM »
Exactly what Eric just said. And on blends it is our go to. Throw in some warp drive and you can have a potential winner of a print.

I love warp drive / LC additives.
Night Owls