Author Topic: Alternatives to original Newman Roller Frame locking strips  (Read 2312 times)

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Alternatives to original Newman Roller Frame locking strips
« on: September 28, 2018, 12:51:50 AM »
Is there such thing as a locking strip that is not by Newman?
I thought I had seen an add on this forum for an alternative.
Not too keen on Newmans high prices and slow response time to emails.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: Alternatives to original Newman Roller Frame locking strips
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2018, 12:56:02 AM »
logoman, a member here,  has sold something like this in the past
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 11:01:50 AM by Frog »
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2018, 01:39:35 AM »
A search produced a possible alternate supplier -

https://www.gogsg.com/125042/Category/Roller-Frame
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2018, 07:28:45 AM »
Couple of things here...
first those little clips used to hold the mesh in the roller prior to adding the locking strip that sell for $34.00 for 6 clips can be had for TWENTY NINE CENTS at you local electrical supply store. They are clipd used to hold small cartridge fuses. Here is an example, may not be the the right size in the example but they are available. take one to your local supply to match them up.
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Littelfuse/01010001Z?qs=Vv6sT79n3zTINv1nm2Qlfw%3D%3D&gclid=CjwKCAjworfdBRA7EiwAKX9HeI_hoG4fJ3KSxEXeGf8SOtdN495QtkVgxwll_vsrb1Zj5ikEj4OC9hoCcU4QAvD_BwE

https://ie.rs-online.com/web/p/fuse-clips/3759749/

As for the locking strips this is a little harder to find. What we have done , and I warn you I am a Rube Goldberg and the master of the work around is to use large zip ties. can't get them in the exact width needed thay are a little too wide . I have a jig that I drop them into and quickly shave the width down to what works.

A bag of 12 zip ties 28 inches long  is about $4.00. Short of this drop $70 bucks and buy the real thing.
here is AN EXAMPLE of what I am talking about.
https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-11158BL/Cable-Ties-Releasable/Releasable-Nylon-Cable-Ties-12-Black?pricode=WB0363&gadtype=pla&id=S-11158BL&gclid=CjwKCAjworfdBRA7EiwAKX9HeDPy_UGy7ccTC4GVOb_WehCxWD30-TZM4ki3V81rmSJlOVB-FtZRAxoCHOMQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.cabletiesandmore.com/any-length-strap-long-cable-ties.php?gclid=CjwKCAjworfdBRA7EiwAKX9HeD-trz5VvrSIno3U924APf1cJi8wRLBCaMJDTVvj54CgG-2hYyXNdhoCrb8QAvD_BwE

mooseman
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 07:33:30 AM by mooseman »
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2018, 01:00:05 PM »

As for the locking strips this is a little harder to find. What we have done , and I warn you I am a Rube Goldberg and the master of the work around is to use large zip ties. can't get them in the exact width needed thay are a little too wide . I have a jig that I drop them into and quickly shave the width down to what works.

A bag of 12 zip ties 28 inches long  is about $4.00. Short of this drop $70 bucks and buy the real thing.

Man, I know you are the KING of DIY, but just the thought of having a jig to shave the widths on this just brings to mind an easy way to lose a finger, lol.
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2018, 01:25:30 PM »

I picture a block of wood, with a grove depth cut to the correct strip width, and hit it with a plane.

Man, I know you are the KING of DIY, but just the thought of having a jig to shave the widths on this just brings to mind an easy way to lose a finger, lol.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2018, 01:35:19 PM »

I picture a block of wood, with a grove depth cut to the correct strip width, and hit it with a plane.

I picture a guy that knows how to reply on his own forum without looking like Rich Hoffman. :p  :D

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2018, 01:39:52 PM »

Hey Screen...well nearly 50 years of woodworking some of it professionally I still (knock on wood) have all my fingers. My marbles however are a few short of a full bag 
:
mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Online mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2018, 02:30:57 PM »

I picture a guy that knows how to reply on his own forum without looking like Rich Hoffman. :p  :D

HAHAHA, that's funny...Frog, you should ban him for that

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2018, 02:38:15 PM »

Actually, the quotes got pretty screwed up in my post.

"king of DIY" was screenxpress
"block of wood" was mine, and I thought sounded like a fairly safe method for the purpose.

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2018, 04:31:42 PM »
"block of wood" was mine, and I thought sounded like a fairly safe method for the purpose.

I'm a "visual" guy.  I picture a block of wood with a slot cut in to lay a strip in with oversize edge raised up.

Wouldn't running a plane across get to a point of taking some of the wood off, making following strips being more and more narrow as the wood gets chipped off and shortened? 

Just curious

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2018, 04:49:11 PM »

I'm a "visual" guy.  I picture a block of wood with a slot cut in to lay a strip in with oversize edge raised up.

Wouldn't running a plane across get to a point of taking some of the wood off, making following strips being more and more narrow as the wood gets chipped off and shortened? 

Just curious

I was actually thinking of hard wood and softer plastic. I figured that moose's finesse would take care of it.

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2018, 06:29:32 PM »
I expect Mike to post a detail pic of his design as he often does......lol

I'm kind of in the same position.  I had two rolls of the locking strips and have now used them all up.  They do last a long time, but down the road sometime I'll be looking for strips myself.

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2018, 06:57:55 PM »
I expect Mike to post a detail pic of his design as he often does......lol

I'm kind of in the same position.  I had two rolls of the locking strips and have now used them all up.  They do last a long time, but down the road sometime I'll be looking for strips myself.

Trust this will make some sense please ask any questiions
mooseman

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2018, 01:03:41 AM »
You did not disappoint, lol.

Makes sense.  Thanks.