Author Topic: Newbie  (Read 2196 times)

Offline jake899

« on: October 04, 2018, 03:32:06 PM »
Hey all!  I'm a complete newbie in this stuff, and mostly uneducated in doing it.  Good thing is I learn quick, and willing to put in the time to develop some skill.

I have some great designers that are willing to work with me in the future (they're related, so they're obligated ;D), so I have a good start on artwork.  I've studied a bit about equipment and attended a Print U with T&J at the M&R facility last December.  I've got a little bit bought to get started practicing with, so we'll see where this leads!

I've been reading a fair amount on these boards, and I like the community you've built here.  Thank you all for being willing to post information, and be informative to others in the industry!

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: Newbie
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2018, 06:32:01 PM »
Welcome aboard.
Why don't you let us know just what equipment and supplies you have to get started with.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline jake899

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2018, 10:21:47 PM »
Well,
I have yet to pick up the items, but I'm picking up a Workhorse 6/4 manual and a Workhorse dryer.  A bunch of other misc parts and pieces (squeegees, screens, and the like).  A Workhorse photosharp 1k MH exposure unit that needs some TLC.

I've also got a Chameleon 6/6 and some M&R flashes coming from another location.

We spoke a bit in another post about a printer....still need to buy that, but I think I have a good start!

Given my equipment, any tips or should knows about any of it?

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2018, 08:26:33 AM »
Well, if you're a complete newbie, I would start with a one color print. It sounds like you're starting from scratch, so you may want to think of each part of the process as separate, but part of a whole. Art, onto film; screen making; press setup; printing; finishing. Perhaps someone local to you could make a screen for you so you could learn to print first, developing the touch. You ask for some tips, but there are so many, it's best to zero in on a particular topic as it pops up. Everyone here is glad to help, and we've all been where you are. So, if you're trying to output am image to film, we can explain the steps; exposing the screen, finishing that, press setup, ink mixing, the correct ink for the product you want to print on, we're here for you.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline jake899

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2018, 12:01:42 PM »
I certainly appreciate that!  I do know a few people who do this, or have done a little of it in the past as well.  I'm hoping I can get one to come and maybe aid in teaching just a little bit of the process.

Print U by T&J was pretty informative.  Most of the process is explained, and if they were to have another I think I'd go again in a heartbeat!

Still open to all suggestions like I said in the last post!

Jason