Author Topic: Bootleg screen rack  (Read 5068 times)

Offline Fleetee

• Verified/Junior
Re: Bootleg screen rack
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2018, 08:28:07 AM »
Great for starters. Use it until you have time to put together something that will hold screens more efficiently. Make sure you can dry shirt side down without snagging the mesh. And... casters! Even if the rack almost never moves, I find it's really helpful to have casters so that moving is easy when necessary, even if loaded with screens.

Sorry, can you clarify what you mean by caster? Is it rollers on the bottom of the screen rack so I can easily move the screen rack around?

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2018, 08:46:22 AM »
Those are 2 in the same thing.  Casters are rollers. 
It's not a job if you love doing it.

Offline Prince Art

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2018, 08:54:50 AM »
^What he said. If you get around to adding them, you want swivel casters at least on the front, and maybe on all four corners. (The alternative to swivel is stationary. They're cheaper, but if you only use stationary type, you won't be able to steer the rack where you want it.)
Nice guys laugh last.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2018, 11:57:26 AM »
Pretty only counts in beauty pageants, if it works it works.
Next time you get the handy man urges think aboit using some 2 x 4's space and drill thm to accept a short lengtn of 3/4 " PVC
pipe . Can be 8 foot high and hold a crap load of screens..
Best of all will cost you less than30 bucks .here is a picture of the inside of my dry cabinet using 3/4" pvc pipe pieces for the supports.Same idea will work for a 2 x 4 as the sides of my dry cabinet.
mooseman

you built that? wow looks good man

If you want some good starter courses in woodworking, all of the New Yankee Workshop videos can be found on Youtube and online elsewhere.  Start at the beginning of the series before he gets into crazy stuff. 

I try and avoid some of the people I see on youtube.  When I watch people use a table saw and cut pieces wider than they are long against the fence, I cringe...that is how you get a board thrown back at you...or worse, a few missing fingers.  One of the few people I watch on youtube is Diresta, he does some great tips and tricks videos.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2018, 01:04:16 PM »
Next time you get the handy man urges think aboit using some 2 x 4's space and drill thm to accept a short lengtn of 3/4 " PVC
Best of all will cost you less than30 bucks .here is a picture of the inside of my dry cabinet using 3/4" pvc pipe pieces for the supports.Same idea will work for a 2 x 4 as the sides of my dry cabinet.
mooseman

If you want some good starter courses in woodworking, all of the New Yankee Workshop videos can be found on Youtube and online elsewhere.  Start at the beginning of the series before he gets into crazy stuff. 

I try and avoid some of the people I see on youtube.  When I watch people use a table saw and cut pieces wider than they are long against the fence, I cringe...that is how you get a board thrown back at you...or worse, a few missing fingers.  One of the few people I watch on youtube is Diresta, he does some great tips and tricks videos.

One of the actually decent guys on YT was showing you why you shouldn't cut a certain way and was causing it to kick back.

Then when he watched the slow-mo he realized how stupid that was because even being careful and KNOWING it was coming, his thumb came inches from the blade when the piece kicked out.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2018, 01:45:31 PM »
mooseman

One of the actually decent guys on YT was showing you why you shouldn't cut a certain way and was causing it to kick back.

Then when he watched the slow-mo he realized how stupid that was because even being careful and KNOWING it was coming, his thumb came inches from the blade when the piece kicked out.

I know the exact video you're talking about.