Author Topic: ryonets preregistration system  (Read 2042 times)

Offline Screenprinter336

ryonets preregistration system
« on: September 30, 2018, 02:40:08 PM »
Does anyone have ryonets preregistration system?
Can correct me if I am wrong on how I am using it?
- put the preregistration system on top of the exposure unit
- put the transparency face down on the preregistration
- tape the transparency so that it sticks to the screen when I put the screen on top of it
- depending on my screen sizes (mine is 23x31) use that measure and place the screen down so the transparency sticks exactly where I want to
- do that for each layer/color so all the layers/colors align (max colors i have is 3)
Am I doing something wrong?

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
Re: ryonets preregistration system
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2018, 09:00:31 PM »
You want to place it on a very flat surface, ideally one that is backlit - but not on your exposure unit.

If you put it on your exposure unit, you will be burning the registration film onto your screen.... Unless you want to reposition your registration film each time you do a set of screens.

Otherwise, you have it correct.

Ryonet also has a couple youtube videos going over this.  Look for:  youtube Ryonet Pre-Registration Template Transparency.

You will find several videos from both Ryonet and other printers who have created something similar.
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: ryonets preregistration system
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2018, 10:02:25 PM »
I've never been a fan of registrations requiring a 'carrier sheet' of sorts for lineups which is why I built this enlarged platen.  It's only used for film registration lineups and then reused for printing using the same 3 'bump' points when loading screens to print.

By using the same 'central point' for affixing the films to the screens and then the screens back to the press, there is virtually no need to use the micros.

I don't quite use the films shown here for lineups any more.  Instead, when printing films, I'll print an extra film with just registrations, flip it over, kind of center on the films you see already taped to the platen and tape it down.  My registrations are in the same place, top and bottom, left and right using Photoshop or Corel 'Rulers' so I can flip it over with the 'sticky' part down and still use the registrations for lineup.  Having the dry side up is important for the next step so the films don't stick.  I put a add a drop of water in two places on the registration film near the outside edges.  I then place one of the films lined up on the registrations and press lightly to hold it in place.  Then I put about 2 inch strips of double sided tape on the side edges.  Slide a screen into the back clamps and line up to the 3 bump points.  Lay the screen down and press down to stick the film to the screen with the double sided tape.  Gently lift up and take to expose. 

Someone on the boards here told me about the 'drop of water'.  It was an awesome tip as the drops cause a capillary effect and hold the film tightly in place while adding the double sided tape.  Also avoids having to use any additional tape in the set up process.

Once all films have been exposed, rinsed out, and dried, they can be inserted into the back clamp heads, one at a time, using the same 3 bump points to register and almost always eliminates any need to use the press micro adjustments.

The only downside to me is after pulling the films from the screens after exposing, the two sided tape is nearly impossible to remove and makes the films not easily stored for reuse.  It may not be that much of a downside as the holding the films can tend to degrade or get damaged anyway.

I have some additional notes somewhere.  If anyone would like to know more, PM me.

Just sharing.......   :)

« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 10:10:53 PM by screenxpress »
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers