Author Topic: Inks for sim process  (Read 1604 times)

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
Inks for sim process
« on: October 11, 2018, 09:39:50 AM »
What inks is everyone using for their sim process prints currently? Looking at plastisol.
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Online rusty

Re: Inks for sim process
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 10:27:59 AM »
I am pretty new to sim process but I am using the RIO system and it's working great so far. The colors are pretty spot on.

My only issue has been with WOW on spot colors with issues of stepping on inks but I believe a lot of that has to do with me and my inexperience with my auto/settings.

Online Zelko-4-EVA

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2018, 10:41:27 AM »
wilflex PC system

multiple choices of base for different substrates.

we use the 15000 PF mixing base, 18600 performance base, and amazing base.  there are more choices out there but we dont need to try them yet.

i have heard good feedback from the RIO system, but havent tried it here.

we also use wilflex print black, process black, and matte black.

mesh count ranges from 150 to 305

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2018, 12:53:47 PM »
We're happy with a mix of brands really, mostly Union and Wilfex...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline 1964GN

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2018, 07:51:42 AM »
We use Rio. We have actually started mixing some of our standard Wilflex ink colors... Rio seems to run better wet with some colors.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2018, 09:59:36 AM »
We use the Union Unimatch system for almost all of our printing not just the simpro. It is not perfect, but no systems out there are. Find one and learn how to use it. There will be workarounds for the issues you run into.

Important thing to remember is that SimPro inks will be very translucent and print well WOW. The first one requires absolutely white underbase which is not achievable with one stroke on one screen. We have to double stroke or set up two ubase screens for simulated process work. Inks have to be translucent to give you a wider color gamut.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2018, 05:22:38 PM »
I've always used Union Ultrasoft Inks WOW for sep printing.  High volume printer not I am, lol
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 05:25:17 PM by screenxpress »
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2018, 05:57:22 PM »
Wiflex PC also.  Base choice is going to vary, as will your choice of PC loading but we like Amazing Base for it's overall stability on press. 

I am anti-additives with plastisol inks but the Finesse clear is worth including in the quiver if you are printing sim pro with the Wilflex product.  At a minimum you will need it for the most translucent inks you print as the Amazing Base doesn't print well at very low PC additions. 

Agree that any quality system built for WOW printing is going to get the goods for you.  I selected Wilflex PCs years ago because I've found Wilflex to be the most consistent manufacturer of plastisol ink I've worked with and PCs for the flexibility in the platform and that upper level of control and cost savings. 

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2018, 06:09:52 PM »
Chris - there is a clear pigment from Wilflex that "should" fix that issue.  Wilflex Epic Clear PC.  Or if you know otherwise on that, I would love to hear it.
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2018, 06:46:31 PM »
Chris - there is a clear pigment from Wilflex that "should" fix that issue.  Wilflex Epic Clear PC.  Or if you know otherwise on that, I would love to hear it.

No kidding, did not know that.  I see how a clear pc would make perfect sense.  They suggested Finesse however and staff here seems happy with it.