Author Topic: Monitors at end of dryer for art check?  (Read 1392 times)

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
Monitors at end of dryer for art check?
« on: October 15, 2018, 08:19:32 AM »
Good morning all,

I want to see if there were people using monitors at the end of the dryers to use for press checks.
I remember someone posting about this some time ago and wanted to see if more people are doing it or what might be the challenges.

I suspect that since monitors show color brighter compared to actual ink on shirt, (even when calibrated) I am not sure this is going to be all that beneficial. the intent is to do away with paper prints. Given that even our color prints are not 100% accurate to the color (since color printers can't achieve all colors on point).

Thoughts and experiences?
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline im_mcguire

• !!!
Re: Monitors at end of dryer for art check?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2018, 09:15:59 AM »
I know Night Owls Print does. Here is a quick video from their Instagram. I’d love to get something like this going in our shop.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bo1dPtvHj7u/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=csf5w3bwik8s

Offline 1964GN

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2018, 10:43:53 AM »
We are just staring to implement monitors at all stations/departments but still don't have everything set up yet. We too are moving away from printed proofs. On a side note, we have started using monday.com for production scheduling. Everything is tracked down to the run order, ink colors, proofs, and stored in the cloud and accessible to all employees from the embroidery department to the screen room.

Online ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2018, 10:56:48 AM »
We are just staring to implement monitors at all stations/departments but still don't have everything set up yet. We too are moving away from printed proofs. On a side note, we have started using monday.com for production scheduling. Everything is tracked down to the run order, ink colors, proofs, and stored in the cloud and accessible to all employees from the embroidery department to the screen room.

how do you all get your orders in? Is someone keying them in manually? or have you automated this? I really  want to do this as well.
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Online ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2018, 10:57:13 AM »
I know Night Owls Print does. Here is a quick video from their Instagram. I’d love to get something like this going in our shop.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bo1dPtvHj7u/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=csf5w3bwik8s

We do, but i'll tell you what, getting our staff to update the monitors for every job sucks.
Night Owls

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2018, 11:28:57 AM »
Good morning all,

I want to see if there were people using monitors at the end of the dryers to use for press checks.
I remember someone posting about this some time ago and wanted to see if more people are doing it or what might be the challenges.

I suspect that since monitors show color brighter compared to actual ink on shirt, (even when calibrated) I am not sure this is going to be all that beneficial. the intent is to do away with paper prints. Given that even our color prints are not 100% accurate to the color (since color printers can't achieve all colors on point).

Thoughts and experiences?

Is this particular monitor just for the catcher (or unloader if he's fast enough) to have as a reference to make sure that colors aren't shifting? (or for that matter are all there)
If so, isn't SOP and even more (real world) accurate having an actual print stuck up the for comparison?
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2018, 11:31:30 AM »
Love the monitor idea, love to have that at both press and dryer.

The monday.com looks interesting too. We use a Google calendar but thats limited.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline rusty

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2018, 12:04:23 PM »

[/quote]
 having an actual print stuck up the for comparison?
[/quote]

This is what we do. Approved print sits next to person catching to keep an eye on color shifts.

Offline Doug B

• !!!
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2018, 12:11:25 PM »
  Same here. A printed approved proof hangs on a hanger at the end of the dryer.

Offline 1964GN

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2018, 12:31:56 PM »

how do you all get your orders in? Is someone keying them in manually? or have you automated this? I really  want to do this as well.

All orders come in across 2 desks, mine and the owners. We add the job into monday with the basic details. Each department updates monday with the specific task as they are completed. I move them to the Ready to Print board after all pre-production tasks have been completed. After a job has been invoiced it gets archived. When a reorder comes we unarchive the job and reset due dates, PO number etc... the proofs and run orders are already done since they stay with each job.

Updating tasks with in a job is mandatory for each person performing the task. The younger your workers, the more apt they are to get with the program LOL. We are just over 30 days in and it's ready been a real big hit, and time saver.

Online ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2018, 12:34:38 PM »

Interesting....so where do your different departments pull their info from? For instance, where are you dictating your screen mesh for your screen room?

All orders come in across 2 desks, mine and the owners. We add the job into monday with the basic details. Each department updates monday with the specific task as they are completed. I move them to the Ready to Print board after all pre-production tasks have been completed. After a job has been invoiced it gets archived. When a reorder comes we unarchive the job and reset due dates, PO number etc... the proofs and run orders are already done since they stay with each job.

Updating tasks with in a job is mandatory for each person performing the task. The younger your workers, the more apt they are to get with the program LOL. We are just over 30 days in and it's ready been a real big hit, and time saver.
Night Owls

Offline 1964GN

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2018, 12:43:40 PM »
We use this for the embroidery department as well. The sew sheet and dst files are placed in the comment section so the operator has everything they need. They also log actual colors used in the comments. We are adding a 6 head in a couple of months and monday is really going to make production scheduling much easier.

Offline 1964GN

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2018, 12:47:33 PM »
The screen room is not set up yet. We are doing a build out to expand the screen room... we are adding an auto coater and CTS at the first of the year. We'll have a computer there once the build out is complete.

Online ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2018, 01:37:05 PM »
The screen room is not set up yet. We are doing a build out to expand the screen room... we are adding an auto coater and CTS at the first of the year. We'll have a computer there once the build out is complete.

Sent you an email about this!
Night Owls

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2018, 07:53:24 PM »
We currently use 11x17 proofs that stand on a pole in front of the catcher once the press op dials it in.
This tho takes up more time for one area that does not re-coupe any cost on time or $ for producing a proof. Lets say it take 3 min to set up a press proof and print. I might do as many as 15 a day. Thats 45 min.Some jobs for 500 shirts can take me 10-15 minutes to separate. So, getting 3-5 more jobs out in a day means a lot when you are in a pinch. So we look at (how much of a benefit is it to print out a paper proof versus buying 2-3 monitors for a few years.

Good catch on the loading a file up on the monitor per job. Would be a step, but that step from starting a job to running that job for 15 min to 5 hrs sounds worth it.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850