Author Topic: starting some dtg research  (Read 5235 times)

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: starting some dtg research
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2018, 10:43:16 AM »
quality and washability of your image is directly related to your pretreatment. If you put a little bit more on one side than the other, the image will look different. Repeatability and consistency of the pretreatment deposit is crucial to successful DTG operation. If you are spending money on a DTG find the money for a proper pretreatment solution or wait to get both. Buying one without the other is only good for RnD.

There are pretreatments for light color and dark color garments. Get both!

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2018, 11:34:07 AM »
There are basically 3 pretreatments: lights, darks, poly. The light pretreat doesn't react well with the white ink so it can't be used to print with white, it is just designed to improve detail, vibrance, and washab okklity on lights when printing cmyk. The dark pretreat is for printing with white, but it will often stain lights, but not always. We really don't use the poly pretreatment so I can't speak on that.

Offline Fleetee

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2018, 07:23:41 AM »
really appreciate the quality feedback guys

Offline Fleetee

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2018, 09:39:01 AM »
hey guys, i see that people use conveyor dryers or sometimes even a flash instead of a heat press. i have both because i am a screen printer. does that mean i wont be needing a heat press at all? or is it absolutely necessary to have a heat press either for before or after the pretreatment process or for the final cure?

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2018, 09:49:06 AM »
Heat press is helpful in matting down the fibers before printing (like a roller squeegee)... also, in general, it's nice to have a heat press around the shop really.

It's a great bandaid that you often need as a screen printer.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2018, 10:46:48 AM »
I would say it's a must for pretreating darks. 

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2018, 11:53:42 AM »
You will need a heat press and IMO the Shultz (spelling) pretreat machine was a must as well, just made it very easy to repeat pretreat for us.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline Fleetee

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2018, 02:31:56 PM »
You will need a heat press and IMO the Shultz (spelling) pretreat machine was a must as well, just made it very easy to repeat pretreat for us.

Yea im getting a lot of consistent reviews/recommendations on the schulze pretreatment machine

Offline Fleetee

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2018, 03:16:54 PM »
looks like im going to go with omniprint 330 tx. does anyone have this dtg printer?

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2018, 06:41:25 PM »
Can't speak to that printer, but when it comes to heat press vs conveyor: DTG inks will require a very, very long dwell time from everything I have read, like 2 or 3 times what discharge would require (think 5 to 8 minutes in the chamber).  We have 4 heat presses to handle our printer output, all in a line, 2 or so feet apart.  Cure time is around 2 minutes per garment.  We can out cure our print output easily...

Offline Fleetee

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2018, 09:54:56 AM »
Can't speak to that printer, but when it comes to heat press vs conveyor: DTG inks will require a very, very long dwell time from everything I have read, like 2 or 3 times what discharge would require (think 5 to 8 minutes in the chamber).  We have 4 heat presses to handle our printer output, all in a line, 2 or so feet apart.  Cure time is around 2 minutes per garment.  We can out cure our print output easily...

Yea, I think a heat press may be necessary for heat pressing the pretreatment down before printing on dtg. Without the heat press, the fibers don't get push down for a vibrate print.

Offline Fleetee

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2018, 09:58:26 AM »
think I gotta do more research before ordering. try to look up reviews on the omniprint and all the reviews that i come across look pretty staged and fake. all of them have that fake vibe/language to it like you see on commercials and all of the reviewers only have 1 review making it suspicious... also it is suspicious that the inks are either equal to or more than half the ink cost of other companies. there has to be a reason, things arent cheap for no reason.

whats your guys' thought on this? how did you find the confidence in the dtg printer you guys ended up buying. i dont know who to trust lol

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2018, 10:01:10 AM »
Have you been to an industry show where you can see a variety of equipment to better compare head to head?
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2018, 03:49:27 PM »
Who is using the omniprint? And is anyone using the pretreat they make too?
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline merchmonster

« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2018, 03:56:47 PM »
think I gotta do more research before ordering. try to look up reviews on the omniprint and all the reviews that i come across look pretty staged and fake. all of them have that fake vibe/language to it like you see on commercials and all of the reviewers only have 1 review making it suspicious... also it is suspicious that the inks are either equal to or more than half the ink cost of other companies. there has to be a reason, things arent cheap for no reason.

whats your guys' thought on this? how did you find the confidence in the dtg printer you guys ended up buying. i dont know who to trust lol

there are 3 common options
kornit - expensive
brother gtx - faster economy option nice prints
epson f2100 - slow economy, good warranty

everything else... can't vouch for it, wouldn't touch it.
Merch Monster Screen Printing Embroidery and DTG Direct To Garment Printing
Servicing Oakland CA and the Greater San Francisco Bay Area
http://www.merchmonster.net