Author Topic: Sleeve Prints  (Read 779 times)

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
Sleeve Prints
« on: October 16, 2018, 08:25:18 PM »
What's the max width of a sleeve print you can do? We tend to max out around 3" wide on a sportsman, but i've always wondered how others are doing them wider!
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
Re: Sleeve Prints
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2018, 08:53:29 PM »
We print up to 4” wide max and 16” max length.  We’ve done a few that were maxed out. Not sure how wide our sleeve pallets are. They look to be 5” with a half inch on each side, standard M&R sleeve pallets.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2018, 09:06:56 PM »
I have 4" plattens and we do 3.75... Probably could do more but we just keep it safe as far as too close to edges.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 10:49:08 PM by Gilligan »

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2018, 09:54:01 PM »
Typically shops will print to within 1/8th of an inch of the platen width.  This allows you a tiny bit of wiggle room and good contact for your squeegee blade.

So:

3 3/4" on a 4 inch board
4 3/4" on a 5 inch board etc.
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2018, 10:43:30 PM »
The question should be is when will a press come out that you can load long sleeves and especially small long sleeves fast and easy! And settle down internet cowboy, I know someone out there can do 8,000 smalls an hour by themselves but for the rest of us I want to know.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2018, 10:52:00 PM »
... And settle down internet cowboy, I know someone out there can do 8,000 smalls an hour by themselves but for the rest of us I want to know.

BWAHAHAHAHA

Yeah, I hate them.

I flash them before pulling them.

My last guy was like, "I can pull them without flashing, we don't need to do that"

And my response was, and by the time you babied it to make sure nothing stupid happened it's done flashing it and you don't have to worry about that.

They are slow, charge accordingly. :)

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2018, 09:26:17 AM »
4-4.5" on a 5" wide platen and up to 18" tall. MHM E-Tye has pretty thin arms so it works reasonably well. XS are a pain, but the rest are OK.
'was talking to Colin about the new ROQ platens coming out and will probably give that a shot. 'would really like to get rid of the MHM and replace it with another ROQ. . .

we also flash the sleeves. It costs next to nothing and it makes things easier.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2018, 02:37:44 PM »
I guess I am an image width conservative.  We try to allow 2" larger platen to image size where possible.  1" will suffice.  We round our squeegee corners is the primary reason.

Eric, did yinz keep an M&R in the shop just for sleeves?  We almost did just that and once in a while we have a shift where we wish we did honestly.