Author Topic: Double Feature Fun  (Read 753 times)

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Double Feature Fun
« on: October 26, 2018, 02:58:02 PM »
Perhaps some of our members are, like me, old enough to remember that once upon a time, movies were usually shown as double features. Every now and then, with the right combination, the marque would be a show in itself.

What can you come up with? If you want to get fancy, here's the generator I used  https://photofunia.com/effects/movie_marquee
Otherwise, just list your creation, but I do suggest only one to a post to keep it going longer.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 03:00:49 PM by Frog »
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Double Feature Fun
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2018, 04:37:12 PM »
As I remember it, $0.35 to get in, 2 movies and a couple of cartoons, plus coming attractions. My dad would give me $0.45, so the dime bought 2 candy bars at the drug store, as opposed to about $0.50 at the concession stand... fond memories really, I guess that happens as we get older. I'll give that link a try tonight, thanks Andy.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2018, 09:55:13 AM »
The link is fun but text is limited so here goes.

BELA LUGOSI MEETS A BROOKLYN GORILLA

BED TIME FOR BONZO

mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2018, 10:58:22 AM »
I don't go back that far but my high school job was working at a theater and I remember the $2.00 admission.  You could get by with a date on $7.00.  This was back when the Sunday movies were nothing but kung-fu movies.  The voices never matched the lip movements. lol.  Oh how the times have changed. 
It's not a job if you love doing it.

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2018, 12:58:09 PM »
As I remember it, $0.35 to get in, 2 movies and a couple of cartoons, plus coming attractions. My dad would give me $0.45, so the dime bought 2 candy bars at the drug store, as opposed to about $0.50 at the concession stand... fond memories really, I guess that happens as we get older. I'll give that link a try tonight, thanks Andy.

Steve

.07 to get in on Friday Night for movie + cartoons

Candy bar was .02, maybe .03.  I think my parents would give me .25 and expect change, lol.

But then again, it was 1950.

Saturday Matinee was the best.  Usually 2 movies and some shorts.  Don't remember the cost.

Updated - with archived picture/info
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 11:14:58 PM by screenxpress »
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2018, 03:28:01 PM »
Yea Saturday afternoon was the best $.30 to get in to see two features + 101 cartoons or other times was two features and then the Three Stooges.
The movie house was even then an old theater with lots of heavy velvet ropes, brass, vaulted ceilings,
a big stage in front of the screen and a set of curtains, there were 3 of them a heavy one in front, a decorated one in the middle and one you could see through in the back that teased you as it went up slowly because soon you knew the projector would be turned on.

the coming attractions lasted anout 12 to 15 minutes, there was an intermission while they changed the film reels. the lobby lights would flash off and on when the show was about to start up again.
The place burned to a total loss in 1972 rebuilt as a smaller venue looked like a  blue box, it didn't last too long after that.
mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.