Author Topic: Gas Dryer Over Shooting Temp  (Read 2139 times)

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
Gas Dryer Over Shooting Temp
« on: October 29, 2018, 09:14:12 PM »
Hey all,

Looking for some insight on this please. I assume gas dryers are pretty much straight forward and similar across all manufacturers. Over course I could be completely wrong but assuming I am correct here goes :

Past two years or so every 3 or 4 months out of the blue our dryer will be running fine and overshoot temp in production and dryer cuts off. Turn back on ping pongs back and forth for about an hour then settles in. Will work fine for an hour or two then do it again. Will be like this for around 2 or 3 days. Then goes back to normal for a few months. Can be hot as in 110 F out or cold as 35 F as well. So time of year is not relevant.

Gas company has come twice and confirmed all is well. Neighbor business uses gas as well no problems there. Dryer is lubed and cleaned weekly. Only 5 years old. When it shuts off it purrs down and no ball bearings rumbling. Service tech comes every three months. Flame rod has been replaced, gas valve modulator, belts, all the normal wear and tear stuff. Have checked all sensors with voltage meter with multiple techs.

What am I missing? It overshot today and set us back two hours. Very very tired of this. Nobody seems to have an answer

Offline californiadreamin

• !!!
Re: Gas Dryer Over Shooting Temp
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2018, 10:05:42 PM »
No one has the answer? The manufacturer?
Very simple! As long as components are good, which they probably are, it is
A gas pressure issue. Overshooting temp equals to much gas pressure. Not reaching temp, not enough
Gas pressure. Turn down gas pressure a bit, should solve your problem!
Hope this helps!
Winston

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2018, 10:23:39 PM »
Well, I wish it was that simple. Besides I should not have to turn the pressure up or down several times a day. The dryer should regulate that for me. And yes all components I was told to replace by manufacturer I have. So this should be taken care of but there is something going on as it only happens every few months for a few days. But a couple hours a day over two or three days means a loss of serious production.

• !!!
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2018, 11:09:42 PM »
What type of gas? Natural or LP
Burner btu size?
What is your gas pressure in wc inches coming into building?
What diameter is your incoming feed pipe? How long?
Is there any other gas apliances using the same line?
Do you have a wc gage before your final regulator? What wc inches are at that point?
What Wc inches are after inital regulator?
Again it is a pressure problem?
Show me the numbers!
Winston

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2018, 11:21:47 PM »
Natural, not at shop don't have Burner btu size in front of me, gas pressure wc coming into building is at manufacturers suggestion, incoming feedpipe at manufacturers suggestion, not at shop to measure, no other dryers or appliances connected to line, not at shop to measure wc inches after regulator, going to call manufacturer tomorrow morning, thank you for the help, have a good night.

• !!!
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2018, 12:12:07 AM »
Natural gas like electricity is on a grid. If you are in a cold climate they turn up the pressures and volume
To acommidate the users. If you are in a warmer climate that gets cold sometimes, then the natural gas
Providers go bat$hit crazy turning up pressures. Machine manufacturers have no say on what this pressure
Is. They can only request pressure and volume to run their equipment. Your problem happens with many
This time of year. Incorrect or not enough gas regulators provided to machine are usually the problem.
If they are properly stepped down then the fluctuations in incoming pressure is no problem. If not you
Will go bannanas!
Caveat. If a tech has adjusted your maxitol without looking at your regulators and pressures. Then that
Is a foolish mistake.
Give me a call if your in a jam, i will walk you through it.
Winston

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2018, 09:15:35 AM »
Winston is the expert here, I can;t even come close to his level of knowledge when it comes to dryers, but I would like to throw few things out there. Just on the off chance it helps.

PID controls everything on a dryer. If there is a problem with it, it could manifest the way you say it does. I would swap it and check all the connections.

The other thing to look at is the breezes in the shop. If you have something blowing the air through the dryer it will affect your burn rates. If it suddenly starts and stops it could be wreaking havoc on the PID and it's ability to control the temps. It could possibly also be related to a faulty exhaust booster fan turning on and off. 

PID learning function is designed to work under the same circumstances. If you tune it up for an empty belt it will have a hard time controlling the temps when it's full of shirts or they are coming and going. If everything else checks out, try running the learning program while the shirts are going down the belt.

I doubt any of these help as thy are long shots and somewhat obscure issues, but it can't hurt to throw them out.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2018, 11:15:53 AM »
Thanks guys. Working on it now. I'll post later today. I do appreciate the help! Always something. Variables.

Offline Stinkhorn Press

• !!!
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2018, 12:14:16 PM »
winston helped up fix our gas dryer control issues (thanks!) we had.

older precision vortex was wildly uncontrollable.
it's unlikely this is your problem, but hey -
turned out to be that the arm that opened and shut the butterfly valve that regulated the flow based on the temps it was aiming for . . . can be installed in reverse. so that it tries to open when it thinks it's closing. how it even ran AT ALL like that is more of a mystery than anything else.
just something to add to the pile.

Offline 244

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2018, 01:24:47 PM »
Hey all,

Looking for some insight on this please. I assume gas dryers are pretty much straight forward and similar across all manufacturers. Over course I could be completely wrong but assuming I am correct here goes :

Past two years or so every 3 or 4 months out of the blue our dryer will be running fine and overshoot temp in production and dryer cuts off. Turn back on ping pongs back and forth for about an hour then settles in. Will work fine for an hour or two then do it again. Will be like this for around 2 or 3 days. Then goes back to normal for a few months. Can be hot as in 110 F out or cold as 35 F as well. So time of year is not relevant.

Gas company has come twice and confirmed all is well. Neighbor business uses gas as well no problems there. Dryer is lubed and cleaned weekly. Only 5 years old. When it shuts off it purrs down and no ball bearings rumbling. Service tech comes every three months. Flame rod has been replaced, gas valve modulator, belts, all the normal wear and tear stuff. Have checked all sensors with voltage meter with multiple techs.

What am I missing? It overshot today and set us back two hours. Very very tired of this. Nobody seems to have an answer
Check to make sure the fans are working and the filters clean on the control panel box. If the internal temperature rises over 110 f the controller could malfunction for a period of time.
Rich Hoffman

Offline Admiral

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2018, 03:06:28 PM »
When we had this on a 6 year old Sprint 2000 the issue was the gas modulator.  Replaced it and the machine ran like new!

• !!!
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2018, 09:59:22 PM »
Well, how did you do?
Is your problem solved?

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2018, 04:39:01 PM »
I am currently going with the gas coming into the building. The dryer is back to normal after a day or two of weirdness as predicted. Again it only happens every few months, hot or cold months doesn't matter. And only for a couple of days and back to normal. I am keeping track of the construction that's going on all around us and it memory serves me correctly it seems to happen when they are doing something. But I could be wrong. Time will tell. Thanks everyone!

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2018, 06:54:21 PM »
I am currently going with the gas coming into the building. The dryer is back to normal after a day or two of weirdness as predicted. Again it only happens every few months, hot or cold months doesn't matter. And only for a couple of days and back to normal. I am keeping track of the construction that's going on all around us and it memory serves me correctly it seems to happen when they are doing something. But I could be wrong. Time will tell. Thanks everyone!

Bruh...  it's NOLA.

Do you expect ANYTHING to work?   ;D

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2018, 09:44:54 PM »

Bruh...  it's NOLA.

Do you expect ANYTHING to work?   ;D

That's the thing. I'm used to it but when I try to explain to others that this city / Parish / and basically State is borderline 2nd World or a 3rd World one that works for the most part people do not understand. Do you live in a city where every other week you have to boil your water to brush your teeth? Going out to eat? Don't drink the water or ice cubes. Sucks you can't shower for one, two, maybe three days. I have seen 3 cars be sucked into sinkholes just last year. 1 in our neighborhood. Someone gets murdered here every 24 hours. The power goes out every other week. I can go on and on and on. Getting permits and so forth? Hahahaha