Author Topic: Quick screen dryer  (Read 4180 times)

Offline kingscreen

• Gonzo Member
Quick screen dryer
« on: October 29, 2018, 10:22:32 PM »
Here’s a little thing I put together today. This is for when you really need that wet screen dry and ready right NOW.  Not intended for regular use. From wet to ready for press in 3 minutes. Not bad for a $1.99 Goodwill hairdryer and some 2” PVC pipe.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 10:28:12 PM by kingscreen »
Scott Garnett
King Screen

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: Quick screen dryer
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2018, 10:46:49 PM »
Not to be used for screens with tight registration. I reserve methods like this for one color jobs ( and yes, I get a lot of them)
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2018, 07:57:24 PM »
Interesting idea. We have the verticle rack with box fans on top. I paper towel off before racking if I need the screen asap and flip after a minute or two. Screens are usually tape ready in 10 minutes. I can see the added heat helping a bit more.

Offline Prince Art

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2018, 08:34:47 PM »
Last shop I was in had a compressed air line right next to washout. Standard practice was to blow off each screen. Greatly sped up dry time. If we were in a bigger hurry, we then stuck the mostly-dry screen next to the dehumidifier in the screen room. Worked great,  no heat damage. But it wasn't 3 minutes, more like 10. That's some good duct-tape engineering, King!  8)
Nice guys laugh last.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2018, 11:54:52 AM »
Yep I also use a box fan blowing down on our screens, dries in about 5 to 10 minutes...use those blue shop towels you can use them over and over instead of paper towels.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Zelko-4-EVA

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2018, 12:55:09 PM »
we have a vacuum to get most of the water off the screen, box fan to dry when its in the screen room, then a 30" industrial pedestal fan next to the blockout table.  if the screens need to be rushed, we have an air gun to help. 

if we did less screens i would go for the hairdryer / PVC pipe method, but maybe use a computer style fan on the PVC - it might last longer.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2018, 05:05:03 PM »
Last shop I was in had a compressed air line right next to washout. Standard practice was to blow off each screen. Greatly sped up dry time. If we were in a bigger hurry, we then stuck the mostly-dry screen next to the dehumidifier in the screen room. Worked great,  no heat damage. But it wasn't 3 minutes, more like 10. That's some good duct-tape engineering, King!  8)

Compressed air on cleaned screens and exposed screens is standard practice here no matter when we need them.

Offline Stinkhorn Press

• !!!
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2018, 09:16:16 AM »

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2018, 10:30:21 AM »

For about $20.00 bucks you can make one of these to suck up the excess water from your screens. Real simple and cheap all you need is a few bucks and a shop vac. You can customize it to a width that fits the screens you have for simple one pass operation the smooth bottom (after you sand or buff the cut area) will not harm your screen. detrails below.
With most of the water gone fan or soft heat drying is pretty quick.

Or if you want even a simpler device just buy one of these
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Shop-Vac-1-Piece-Floor-Nozzle/1115361

mooseman

PVC pipe  test plug
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Charlotte-Pipe-1-1-2-in-dia-PVC-Schedule-40-Test-Fitting/3357824

Shop vac hose adapter
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Shop-Vac-1-Piece-Tool-Adapter/1085001
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2018, 10:40:06 AM »
Wow, combining these vacuum heads along with the hair dryer tool, and we might actually save so much time that our clocks run backwards! LOL!

Reminds me of the story I heard when I was a kid of a guy who was a sucker for car gadgets, and bought a new carburetor that got 40% better mileage, special spark plugs that improved it 35%, a fuel additive good for another 30%, and about three miles down the road, his tank overflowed!

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2018, 04:28:00 PM »
Saati sell a really nice head for a vacuum that is smooth and won’t damage your screens.
Is we are in a hurry we vacuum the water off the screen and dry under a fan.
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il

Offline LuckyFlyinROUSH

• !!!
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2018, 07:48:49 PM »
Dried compressed air will get a screen dry quickly. 5 minutes from screen room to press. pulled, printed, exposed, dry, on press.
I spend too much money on equipment...

Offline balloonguy

• !!!
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2018, 08:31:42 PM »
Years ago there were some plans (from Vastex I think) for a drying cabinet. I was just looking for them... Does anyone have them still?
When you dig grave will you make it shallow so that I can feel the rain?

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2018, 08:45:56 PM »
I don't know about plans from Vastex, but I've seent other people's ideas posted here over the years.

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2018, 12:56:41 PM »
this link may help
http://www.theshirtboard.com/index.php/topic,10214.0.html

below is a box i made holds 6 screens but could easily be bigger.
used a small space heater with fan
typical thermostat,  can't see it as is mounted outside on back of box to catch the exhaust air at the soffit vent se to @  90 degrees
soffit vent
some 3/4' pvc pipe
cabinet grade ply wood
mooseman
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 12:59:14 PM by mooseman »
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.