Author Topic: making your own tri-lock system  (Read 854 times)

Offline Fleetee

• Verified/Junior
making your own tri-lock system
« on: November 02, 2018, 12:59:41 PM »
has anyone made there own tri-lock system before???
the 3 points on one corner to tuck it in and 2 point on the opposite side to ensure that the screen is straight
planning to use a flat table , cut out the extra boarders of the ryonets transparent preregistration system and tape it to the table real flat
then use wood or metal and drill in the 3-point to the bottom left of the table/preregistration system. the 2 point to the top left of the table/preregistration system

any thoughts? currently dont have the funds to purchase one but im having so much trouble lining up the layers but was consistently recommended i need a trilock system so resorting to building my own

videos would be great of how to make your own~

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: making your own tri-lock system
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2018, 01:01:27 PM »
search or browse, as many members have shown off their own registration systems over the years.
It may take some work, but there is a lot of stuff on these boards already!
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Stinkhorn Press

• !!!
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2018, 01:39:53 PM »
used tri lock bits are for sale always.

we bought a used set. kept the press pallet, kept the expo unit jig, threw the rest away (sheets and sheet hangers).

inverted the expo jig on a board, built a raised center space to put the reg marks on, back lit it.

if you're doing FILM and have a press that fits a tri lock, this gets you (conservatively) 90% of the way to a CTS's accuracy with a minimal amount of extra steps (taping accurately mostly - besides being stuck with film).

costs: roughly $2k for the appropriate tri lock bits. another $100/$200 in building the FPU invert table/box.

in MY very biased opinion, anything LESS than that will barely be worth the improvement gains you'll see.

a WELL set up press, a good CTS and matching tri lock is HARD to beat.
but the well set up press is needed ANYWAY (so it's free). The tri lock is $2k used. The CTS is the part we couldn't justify the price point of versus what you can get with a bit of DIY ingenuity. (alan did it first, we all just copied him - his and mine and a couple others are fairly well documents on this forum).

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2018, 01:46:31 PM »
search for "inverted FPU" to see how a lot of us are doing it vs the standard trilock with carrier sheets etc.  Registration pallet is easy as well, just buy or make an oversized pallet (contact tony at CGS for a deal) and attach the stop blocks in the same spot as on the FPU.

Offline broadway

• !!!
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2018, 03:11:45 PM »
Also google "inverted tri lock fpu", it might be quicker

Offline Fleetee

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2018, 04:03:54 PM »
I'm hoping this 3 point on the top left corner will help me get my color layer more easily aligned
My films are going to have center registration marks on the top and bottom that I am going to match to ryonets preregistration system (i taped flat down) and I am going to tuck each screen into the 3 point lock for every screen

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2018, 05:04:09 PM »
Are you Manual or Auto?

Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Fleetee

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2018, 07:39:29 PM »
Are you Manual or Auto?

Auto. Workhorse sabre 8/6 to be specific

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2018, 09:27:01 PM »
Okay, I have a DIY that works for me, but its on a workhorse manual and all done on the press.  It won't work for you.
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers