Author Topic: warnings, red flags when buying used equipment  (Read 1256 times)

Offline Fleetee

• Verified/Junior
warnings, red flags when buying used equipment
« on: November 03, 2018, 04:08:55 PM »
looking and doing some research on buying a used exposure unit and in need of some advice so i dont get played...
what defects and such should i be looking into? what are some red flags that i should be conscious of to not buy an exposure unit even though it meets my requirements?

Offline Jepaul

• www.youngonecorporation.com
Re: warnings, red flags when buying used equipment
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2018, 04:21:07 PM »
Condition of the blanket.
If halogen age of bulb.
Condition of seal around edges.

Offline Fleetee

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2018, 07:44:03 PM »
Condition of the blanket.
If halogen age of bulb.
Condition of seal around edges.

I definitely asked this question before on forums but I cant trace back to that post. sorry. whats the major difference between fluorescent and LED again? The one im looking at it fluorescent

https://www.ebay.com/itm/153240750938?ViewItem=&item=153240750938

Any thoughts on this exposure unit??

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2018, 08:01:28 PM »
I think that this caveat from your Classifieds Wanted post would eliminate this dinosaur
Preferably nothing ages old because I can't have it break down on me in the middle of production.

As for Fluorescent vs LED, you are leaving out the most likely candidates you will find: Metal Halide Units. Single point light sources still widely regarded as being the optimum choice for quality.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 10:25:37 AM by Frog »
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2018, 10:38:56 AM »
Although it is older than the LED units now also available, the same article I linked to in another of your threads will give you much of the background you need on what you want in an exposure unit.
BTW, equipment and supply purchases are also issue that could discuss with your hired mentor/consultant.
They could help you make the right purchases (it certainly appears that those you bought from initially certainly did not!) Did these suppliers ever discuss your needs? Then again, did you ask any questions of them?
As some of us suggested a while back, slow down a little, and do it right! In the long run, it will save you time, money and heartache.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 10:40:59 AM by Frog »

Offline Fleetee

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2018, 11:58:48 AM »
I'm also looking to buy this exposure unit
https://www.facebook.com/groups/779292638818765/permalink/1766949643386388/?sale_post_id=1766949643386388&surface=messenger_banner

any comments on Halogen light source? what are the pros and cons and how it differs from led/fluorescent

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2018, 12:47:03 PM »
I'm also looking to buy this exposure unit
https://www.facebook.com/groups/779292638818765/permalink/1766949643386388/?sale_post_id=1766949643386388&surface=messenger_banner

any comments on Halogen light source? what are the pros and cons and how it differs from led/fluorescent

First off, read the damn blog article! https://www.mrprint.com/blog/841-exposure-systems-finding-the-right-cure

You will notice,  it also explains the advantage of an integrator which this Brown unit is missing. Integrators measure how much light is actually getting to the stencil rather than just how long it has been shining.  That means it self-corrects as a bulb ages.
The blog also explains the advantage of a point light rather than an array of tubes. (LED's seem to somewhat overcome this disadvantage.)

As for Halogen, for a plus, it is a single point light source.
Another plus (over the otherwise superior single point metal halide is that it will re-strike while hot, eliminating the need for a shutter.
The minus is that it is not nearly as bright and rich as a correct metal halide in the UV you need .
http://www.light-boy.com/english/metalhalide.htm

Offline gotshirtz001

warnings, red flags when buying used equipment
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2018, 09:14:39 PM »
I have a couple Solarbeam Richmond 10k metal halide units. They are in good/very good shape. One is a 27x38 and the other is 37x58. These units used to go for thousands of dollars not too long ago. Richmond went out of business but the lamps are still available. These are great units but they are older and will eventually break down; the price is low to help assume such risk. These units have integrators. Selling for $950 each with a spare used bulb. Buy both for $1800 and keep one for spare parts.

I picked up a 2010 NuArc MSP3140 to replace the 27x38 because I wanted to burn 2 manual frames at once. I got the 37x58 in a used equipment package after already purchasing the NuArc.

All things said, I know you spent a lot to get your auto equipment but going cheap on the screen making end is not where you should be trying to save money. High quality stencils are essential if you are doing any sort of detail work.

Here is a link worth looking at:
http://www.cosmexgraphics.com/textile/richmond/solar_beam_bulbs.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 12:53:14 PM by gotshirtz001 »
I'm flexible until I'm not

Offline gotshirtz001

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2018, 08:27:24 PM »
@Fleetee

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm flexible until I'm not

Offline Prince Art

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2018, 10:43:41 AM »
I used a Richmond for several years. This will do your halftones just fine. Personally, I'd investigate cost & availability of replacement items before pulling the trigger - but this is a good exposure unit.
Nice guys laugh last.

Offline ffokazak

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2018, 02:20:20 PM »
Ive also got a M&R Tri Light ST 6K for sale,

At least with the forum you know people aren't hustling you :)

Ours has a brand new bulb, perfect vacuum and perfect seals.

Offline cbjamel

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2018, 06:27:58 PM »
looking and doing some research on buying a used exposure unit and in need of some advice so i dont get played...
what defects and such should i be looking into? what are some red flags that i should be conscious of to not buy an exposure unit even though it meets my requirements?

If close to denver  this great.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Used-M-R-NuArc-MSP-3140-Exposure-Unit/153217503265?hash=item23ac799021:g:lsAAAOSwLEVbmr3K

Shane