Industry regulations > CPSIA

CPSIA seminar on SGIA. Did anybody listen to it and a quick recap.

(1/5) > >>

blue moon:
Here's what I think is going on:

essentially, items for kids 12 and under will have to have a certificate accompanying the product.

-Small companies will be able to get a testing exemption number and use it in the certificate, but one will have to be generated for each product. So the certificate will state that you are exempt from testing, it will describe the product and it will list your exemption number (not sure who issues those so I'll have to track it down. I think there will be a link to it on the SGIA and possibly CPSIA site).
- If doing more than $1MM in sales or producing more than 7K items, the certificate will have to contain the testing results.
-Testing results can be provided by component manufacturers (think zippers, buttons, inks, laces and so on . . .). Then the certificate would list all the individual components on it.
-Each individual item can be tested and the results can be included in the certificate.

few extra tidbits:
-shirts do not have to be tested.
-inks do (but it is still uncertain if they are to be treated as paint or component which require two different types of testing.
-feeding and care articles for babies (3 and younger) also have to have a Phthalate compliance certificate.
-certificates do not have to be signed in person (electronically generated certificates are OK)
-stay on testing expires at the end of this year and thus starting 01/01/12 decorated garments for 12 and under have to be certified.
-the tracking label requirements are still in effect and all items for 12 and younger should have them.
-component manufacturers (ink for example) are not required to test!!! And this is where it becomes interesting. If your ink manufacturer is not testing, but another on is, do you switch? The test are supposed to be in the $50-$350 range and have to be done for each batch. In other words, if you have a bucket of white and run out, the next one will have to be tested before it can be used on the children's product. There might be an opportunity for distributors to buy a batch of ink and have it tested, but that is a whole different conversation . . .

FYI there is a brief discussion going on at the t-shirtforums with few other thoughts.

pierre

blue moon:
here is the link to the tread on the T-shirtforum:

http://www.t-shirtforums.com/screen-printing/t172619.html

pierre

Gabe:
no thanks i am loyal to frog

Frog:
Well hell, I'm reading it!

Homer:
color me stupid -but- what issue is this "law" trying to solve? it still seems very grey, no definite answers.

I noticed a few guys said they don't print youth items anymore, how would you prove that? an adult small could fit a 10 year old, so by showing packing lists won't work. . .

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version