Author Topic: Green Galaxy Red Discharge  (Read 2799 times)

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
Re: Green Galaxy Red Discharge
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2018, 08:06:31 AM »
Dirk - thats is the blue shade of red - not the yellow shade of red.

Hard to hit pms 185 with that shade ;)

I know, but its my favorite RED thats super consistent.

Truth there
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2018, 09:16:50 AM »
Reds are fugitive. Buy the best that you can. Think of car brands. If you aren't comfortable with making your own then yes, the Sericol and CC Fox red are excellent considerations. With regards to zfs activator less is often more

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2018, 12:11:29 PM »
As an FYI, Wilflex did for a time make some non-migrating plastisol PCs, I think they were for printing over a DC base?  Not sure really but I swear that was a thing you could buy at some point.

Zoo- actually the non-migrating pigments (yellow and red) are to keep the pigment from migrating into another color when trapping. Specifically think old school athletic numbering where you might print a solid number with red, flash, then print white in top of the red. Standard red pigment will migrate into the white.

So why not just manufacture all red with this NM pigment?  Yup, super expensive rmc!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No kidding,  that makes a lot of sense I suppose.

On the original topic- we mix with PCs here.  Best reds for us.  Go with whatever brand is consistent and consistently available. 

Yes, richer reds through lower activator typically.  That said, our ink guy has played around with the DC formulae to the point where he is able to achieve a lot of basic, bright reds with higher activator.  Higher activator is more consistent across fabrics/dyes/lots/blemishes in dyes/etc.  but higher activator likes to "blow out" your color, acting like a white.  My point is that if you want to run at higher activator you can get there with some learning but that lower activator is the easy fix.   That and try another PMS to base your red off of, 185c is kinda pinkish to start with.  Better, mix one up from scratch with your PCs instead of aiming for a PMS swatch.   I don't particularly like any of the pantone reds.