Author Topic: Print Location?  (Read 1780 times)

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: Print Location?
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2018, 03:03:35 PM »
Important to know size and shape of graphic as well as garment. But these are good guidelines for the basic stuff

So true. In the end, it's always what looks right, not what measures right!
Also, tanks and some V-Necks dictate where something goes, charts and guidelines be damned!
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2018, 08:37:04 PM »
What do you do when you have pocket prints on adult unisex t shirts and also on women’s shirts and large children’s sizes?
The position on the adult t shirts is correct but the others are a bit to the left when worn.     

If using a DTS output, it will land in the exact same location all the time (unless the artist were to move it manually in a template or document).
Then you would adjust (per size and garment style) on the pallet when loading.  It would not be a drastic adjustment.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 08:39:27 PM by Dottonedan »
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2018, 10:42:48 AM »
Here's a slightly updated version of the chart I have shared for many years.
Interestingly, this method of positioning the pocket (or crest) was within a fraction of an inch when compared to one of those that used the collar and shoulder seams as the references.

Is that 4" from the center to the left edge of the image, or the center of the image? We use the center here.

Steve

C'mon Steve, I even made the word "center" bold!

D-oh!

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2018, 03:44:22 PM »
I've had one very similar to Andy's hanging on my wall, but gives me a little more in print size 'range' selection.

I've been using this one as my default and have Frog's for a backup.

Offline Maff

• !!!
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2018, 08:38:07 AM »
left chest and right chest:

LEFT TO RIGHT:
line the center of the art up with the outer edge of the neckline hem (of a standard crewneck neckline).
draw a line straight down from where the neck would come out the shirt. that's your art center.
this is way easier than a measurement from center as it automatically adjusts for ALL sizes.
if the garment isn't a crew neck - simply imagine where the crewneck hem would be.
This is how we do it as well for left chest prints. We move the print a little higher for smalls, and a little lower for XLs

We don't have exact measurements written down anywhere, we just look at the first couple prints and put it on the mannequin and make sure it looks correct, we have lasers on the boards to mark where the collar is (or sometimes just put the collar down 1 or 2 fingers ???? )
But I'm gonna need to make a chart like you guys have since I hope at some point soon we can hire a printer and we should really have some measurements to reference

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2018, 10:33:33 AM »
left chest and right chest:

LEFT TO RIGHT:
line the center of the art up with the outer edge of the neckline hem (of a standard crewneck neckline).
draw a line straight down from where the neck would come out the shirt. that's your art center.
this is way easier than a measurement from center as it automatically adjusts for ALL sizes.
if the garment isn't a crew neck - simply imagine where the crewneck hem would be.
This is how we do it as well for left chest prints. We move the print a little higher for smalls, and a little lower for XLs

We don't have exact measurements written down anywhere, we just look at the first couple prints and put it on the mannequin and make sure it looks correct, we have lasers on the boards to mark where the collar is (or sometimes just put the collar down 1 or 2 fingers ???? )
But I'm gonna need to make a chart like you guys have since I hope at some point soon we can hire a printer and we should really have some measurements to reference

With the pocket/breast/crest prints, I think that for those using lasers, the seams on conventional shirts seem like great reference targets, and as I said, when we compared this method and the actual measurements I use, found them very close.
When I do have shirts with non-standard collars, I place one over a standard shirt and note the difference, and then adjust the position target accordingly. This would work with both rulers and pencil marks, or lasers.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?