Author Topic: Print Location?  (Read 1783 times)

Offline Logoman

• Life is what happens while your making other plans
Print Location?
« on: November 14, 2018, 10:54:01 AM »
Does anyone have a chart or something to show New Printers where to print the crest or Back, ect. ?

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: Print Location?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2018, 11:52:27 AM »
Here's a slightly updated version of the chart I have shared for many years.
Interestingly, this method of positioning the pocket (or crest) was within a fraction of an inch when compared to one of those that used the collar and shoulder seams as the references.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 12:02:30 PM by Frog »
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline whitewater

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2018, 12:58:07 PM »
Ive had this exact one taped to my wall for about 10 years...LOL

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2018, 01:31:10 PM »
Ive had this exact one taped to my wall for about 10 years...LOL

Me too! LOL!
Except, not this exact one, as I have made a few changes (though none to actual measurements). Just a title, and the addition of a few words for clarification.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2018, 04:29:37 PM »
Interestingly, this method of positioning the pocket (or crest) was within a fraction of an inch when compared to one of those that used the collar and shoulder seams as the references.

Is that 4" from the center to the left edge of the image, or the center of the image? We use the center here.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2018, 04:50:43 PM »

Is that 4" from the center to the left edge of the image, or the center of the image? We use the center here.

Steve

C'mon Steve, I even made the word "center" bold!

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2018, 08:33:50 PM »
I struggle with this all the time. What i have reduced this to is to print the left chest image on paper stick it to my tee shirt and jump in front of a mirror. Move it up down left right about 100 times till I think it looks OK??????????
I wear a large tee so that size is my basis. When I think it looks OK  :P I measure it off set from center and down from my collar reference.
So lets say for any given graphic I get a measurement of 3 1/2 off center and 4 inches down to some point of reference on the design.
From there i typically make size corrections as follows
On a medium I use 3 1/4 off x 3 1/2 down
for Xlarge 3 3/4 off and 4 to 4 1/4 down
2xl 4 off X 4 1/2 down
3xl 4 1/4 off x 4 1/2 to 5 down.
Basically for the most part add 1/4 going up in size and subtract  1/4 inch going down in size from my base measurement on my large tee shirt.
At the end of it all I have no clue if this is correct or not but I have not received any complaints form any customers.
it also allows me to judge how different size left chest logos look on my shirt.
For example I would locate a logo that is @ 3.75 wide 2 inches high differently than if it were 3.75 x 3.75 inches.
That is no qualification or standard however as i see left chest logos all over the place , high , low under the arm pit to mention a few I can't be too far from the world. With my method I generally end up somewhere in the ball park but it is a big park.
mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2018, 09:54:53 PM »
I've had one very similar to Andy's hanging on my wall, but gives me a little more in print size 'range' selection.

Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2018, 11:40:08 PM »
What do you do when you have pocket prints on adult unisex t shirts and also on women’s shirts and large children’s sizes?
The position on the adult t shirts is correct but the others are a bit to the left when worn.     
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2018, 11:56:18 PM »
I don't do a lot of pocket prints, but I tend to follow the "Horizontal Placement" which says 3.5 inches from the center of the shirt to the center of the design.

I think larger people have most of the "extra" width on the outer edges so using the offset from the center line should pretty much accommodate all sizes.  We all have a "middle". 

However, I suppose there could be some "drift" to allow between XL and XXXXL.

Just my thoughts.
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Stinkhorn Press

• !!!
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2018, 09:16:48 AM »
left chest and right chest:

LEFT TO RIGHT:
line the center of the art up with the outer edge of the neckline hem (of a standard crewneck neckline).
draw a line straight down from where the neck would come out the shirt. that's your art center.
this is way easier than a measurement from center as it automatically adjusts for ALL sizes.
if the garment isn't a crew neck - simply imagine where the crewneck hem would be.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2018, 09:33:55 AM »
What do you do when you have pocket prints on adult unisex t shirts and also on women’s shirts and large children’s sizes?
The position on the adult t shirts is correct but the others are a bit to the left when worn.     

Ladies sizes I adjust as if 2 sizes smaller (1/2")
Youth, 1"

Offline Prince Art

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2018, 12:27:40 PM »
line the center of the art up with the outer edge of the neckline hem (of a standard crewneck neckline).

Nice tip! I now want to try this to see how it works out.
Nice guys laugh last.

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2018, 12:51:58 PM »
I liked that too and updated mine.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2018, 02:22:06 PM »
Important to know size and shape of graphic as well as garment. But these are good guidelines for the basic stuff