Author Topic: How to print this... 11/29  (Read 1033 times)

Offline DCSP John

How to print this... 11/29
« on: November 29, 2018, 12:16:11 PM »
Hello All..

In know this type of print has been discussed here before..;
But - I am asking again. How would you go about printing this image? Black shirts.
Any advice is appreciated.  - John

Offline zanegun08

Re: How to print this... 11/29
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2018, 12:31:48 PM »
I print these with a base just under the 100% solid areas, and then the glow is just halftones on the same screen as the colors.

So I would do

1 ) Base (under blue and white for the square)
Flash
2 ) Blue (with halftones, and a high opacity ink)
Flash
3 ) White (in the solid square)

I think they end up looking better with a less opaque glow than what shows on the screen, so that from a distance it looks more sharp than blurry, and as you get closer you see the glow better.

Another thing you could do is discharge white and blue, but I would scale back the halftone opacity quite a bit as the discharge doesn't sink into the shirt like plastisol halftones on no base.  I would print this with a discharge base personally, and plastisol on top as I think for neon the plastisol lends to the effect.

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2018, 01:11:44 PM »
I don't have anywhere near the experience of most here, but I snagged your pic, ran thru Ultraseps, reduced the white underbase about 50% and I get a really, really close match with just the White base and Turquoise ink.

That's how I would try a sample to see how it looked.
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2018, 01:23:10 PM »
depending on the opacity of the inks you are using, it might be two or just one white. . . I am thinking a good underbase and a blue top would do the trick.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2018, 02:06:58 PM »
I with P, unless you want to keep the halftones light and crisp on one screen and your solid white on another

#1 white base
#   Flash
#2 halftone white glow
#3 blue
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2018, 02:21:27 PM »
I with P, unless you want to keep the halftones light and crisp on one screen and your solid white on another

#1 white base
#   Flash
#2 halftone white glow
#3 blue

Darryl,
one trick to getting it done with one screen is to double stroke the white so it comes out much brighter. Cut back on your halftones to compensate for the gain produced by two strokes and you should be in business! On smaller quantities it beats having to burn and register an extra screen.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2018, 03:20:20 PM »
Heck, not sure what the client likes but you could do this almost with one neon glow in the dark discharge screen. Tint / cut it with reflex and a touch of a darker blue pigment and not only can you see it in the day but it glows at night! Just to warn you the ink isn't cheap

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2018, 01:07:21 PM »
I'm with this. Sericol or CCI neons/flourescents are tremendous and RFU, just need activator. One screen and you're done! Of course the sep needs to be worked around the process.