Author Topic: S Mesh EOM  (Read 3583 times)

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
S Mesh EOM
« on: December 06, 2018, 10:24:36 AM »
For a long time the recommended EOM for mesh has been 10-20% depending on the mesh.      Less for thinner meshes, higher for thicker.
I am now using S type meshes and using the thin end of the coater with one coat on either side I get 30% on a 150 mesh.
Are there different %'s for S meshes?
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il

Offline ABuffington

Re: S Mesh EOM
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 03:20:59 PM »
S Mesh will coat thicker than T mesh threads.  Using sharp side is best, firm pressure.  Once on each side.  Viscosity of emulsion also will affect EOM.  Higher viscosity = more EOM. 
Alan Buffington
Murakami Screen USA  - Technical Support and Sales
www.murakamiscreen.com

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 04:26:34 PM »
Thanks Alan but are you still recommending a % EOM?
Maybe with S mesh we need to talk about an emulsion thickness that is a higher EOM or not a EOM?
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il

Offline ABuffington

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2018, 05:17:52 PM »
Solid Vector art 10-12%
Halftones 5-7%

A lot depends on the details in your art and the dmax in your image.  If dmax is low no amount of EOM adjustment can capture a transparent image.  If your image has adequate dmax above 3.0 you can expose the image completely and capture.  In the case of transparency EOM would need to be very low and a shorter exposure to capture dot.  If dmax is adequate, then 5-7% for a halftone with decent dmax is easier to capture, it simply makes a better shadow that will wash out easier.

Emulsion choice also affects tonal capture.  Not all emulsions will be able to resolve fine halftones well with target EOM. 
Alan Buffington
Murakami Screen USA  - Technical Support and Sales
www.murakamiscreen.com

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 09:46:07 PM »
Maxie,

I still like 20% or so for my lower mesh counts like 150 and lower.  For higher mesh counts like 225 and above thinner eom 10% and below is better.  If you are really trying to dial in simprocess blending, go with the lower eom that Alan was talking about.

Since ink flows through the screen so easily, its easy to put to much ink down.
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2018, 03:12:51 AM »
Thanks for the replies, my problem is that using the thin side, 1:1 I am still getting a heavier coating than required
Will more pressure reduce it?
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il

Offline Alex M

• !!!
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2018, 03:30:26 AM »
Thanks for the replies, my problem is that using the thin side, 1:1 I am still getting a heavier coating than required
Yes, and speeding up your coating will also help. Just make sure to not go so fast you create bubbles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Alex Mammoser
Director of Sales
Easiway Systems
Mobile: +1 630 220 6588
alex@easiway.com

Offline Stinkhorn Press

• !!!
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2018, 09:06:39 AM »

we don't aim for %.
but we like it lower than most talk about.
we do 1 and zero sharp edge. thin thread all.
and then after drying the 1/0 we do 2 face coats (they don't add much eom at all - just for rz purposes) on EACH side.
so it's 1/0 and 2/2.
phu2
awt gold coater.

Offline lancasterprinthouse

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2020, 07:57:58 PM »
Solid Vector art 10-12%
Halftones 5-7%

A lot depends on the details in your art and the dmax in your image.  If dmax is low no amount of EOM adjustment can capture a transparent image.  If your image has adequate dmax above 3.0 you can expose the image completely and capture.  In the case of transparency EOM would need to be very low and a shorter exposure to capture dot.  If dmax is adequate, then 5-7% for a halftone with decent dmax is easier to capture, it simply makes a better shadow that will wash out easier.

Emulsion choice also affects tonal capture.  Not all emulsions will be able to resolve fine halftones well with target EOM.
Al, is your recommendations here for plastisol? Does it differ for waterbased? Trying to develop solid screens and I’m wondering if our EOM is too low and the cause of some issues we are seeing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk