Author Topic: Black ink first  (Read 1771 times)

Offline Pangea

• !!!
  • Jack of all trades, master of none.
Black ink first
« on: December 10, 2018, 10:26:53 AM »
We have a job coming in that's basically a big black circular shape with white lettering inside of it. Rather than trying to knockout the white to print it first would it make sense to print the black as a solid shape, flash then p/f/p the white over top? I've done this with a bleed blocker base before but wanted to get other opinions before burning screens. The shirt color is sport grey otherwise I would probably do it a different way using discharge.

Offline SEPSINK

Re: Black ink first
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2018, 10:30:29 AM »
You should be able to run it with the black first, but there is no need to make it solid under the white.
www.seps.ink Color Separations For Screen Printers

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2018, 10:46:13 AM »
I agree with Sepsink, black first then white, your asking for trouble printing a solid white over a solid black base, ink not adhering, smearing of the edges on your white, black ink could bleed thru your white etc
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Pangea

• !!!
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2018, 11:11:00 AM »
Awesome, good to know I'm on the right track. The white is thin lines and pretty basic text, not much at all so I may take this as an opportunity to try it out two ways and see how they differ.

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2018, 01:01:29 PM »
watch your flash if you do print black first, we have burnt up a few too many garments doing this. black ink heats up real fast and usually melts on things like triblends....
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2018, 10:31:51 AM »
We'd print black first, with the white knocked out. one or two screens for the white if needed. We would not flash the black to underlay the white, that would be for a an extraordinary situation.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Pangea

• !!!
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2018, 11:34:11 AM »
Wanted to update this thread and say everything went well with the onesies. Now to print the shirts this afternoon, thanks for all the help!

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2018, 04:01:05 PM »
Wanted to update this thread and say everything went well with the onesies. Now to print the shirts this afternoon, thanks for all the help!

how did you end up printing this?

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Pangea

• !!!
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2018, 07:06:53 PM »
Knocked out the white and put a very thin stroke on the black (my press is a 20+ year old Atlas with not great registration). Printed black, flashed, printed white, flashed, printed white again. Took way too long but it's done, delivered and billed.

Offline Atownsend

• !!!
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2018, 08:00:26 PM »
Looks great! You could probably avoid the 2nd flash with s mesh. One hit white all day long with good EOM and those thin lines.

We will often print black first, then white, flash and top colors WOW on the auto. Biggest issue is buildup with the black after a certain number of prints. Might be the synergy black we use, that stuff will build up fast an very thick... like several mm’s thick. Not fun to wipe down a base screen with a large patch of black on it... but 300 pcs & under we usually do okay without having to do that. Anybody good a good tip to avoid buildup on the base screen when printing black first?