Author Topic: Cold Peel Hot Peel? Bad ink mix? Too old?  (Read 1203 times)

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
Cold Peel Hot Peel? Bad ink mix? Too old?
« on: December 14, 2018, 05:33:56 PM »
Got a problem.  See pic.
My wife is heat setting an order for someone else that provided the screen printed transfers. The WHITE comes out perfect. The Color (bluish grey) on back, says it is a custom PMS mix. Not sure if that is a contributing factor, but she sets the white no prob. Goes to set the blue and it does not set all the way. Peels up and sticks to paper in some small areas. Typically the same area.
She must do 5 times more setting at a longer set and higher pressure in order to get it tot work. So we tried Cold peel. Still pealed up, but did SET when she went back to set it a 6th time.

The back of the paper says (Stahls) Also says,  " IF I FEEL SANDY, I AM NOT A HOT PEEL). It's sandy. So should be cold peel (but we were given instructions by the supplier that it is a HOT peel.

She feels like it's more of the ink sticking to the paper and not an issue of the ink not sticking to the garment.
Could it be that it's just old?  This has been kept in a box for a year or more.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 05:36:50 PM by Dottonedan »
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Online cbjamel

• Gonzo Member
Re: Cold Peel Hot Peel? Bad ink mix? Too old?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2018, 05:59:13 PM »
goof proof probably.
Shane

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2018, 06:16:41 PM »
LOL.  Is that an transfer option thing?
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Online cbjamel

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2018, 06:47:39 PM »
stable brand on transfer express side. up heat and pressure see if it helps.
Shane

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Online cbjamel

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2018, 06:59:14 PM »
stable brand on transfer express side. up heat and pressure see if it helps.
Shane

stahls brand. dang auto correct.

Offline larryk

• !!!
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2018, 11:39:16 AM »
Looks like it possibly could be an over cure when the transfers were made. Often times the smaller lines and outer edges will cure beyond what they should when going thru the dryer. On another note I believe the proper name is "Hot Split" since when done properly the ink actually "splits" leaving half on the garment and half on the paper.

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2018, 12:14:13 PM »
Overcure can sometimes be overcome somewhat by kicking up time or temp. And Larry, I think there is that third class of plastisol transfers that peel hot, but don't leave half behind.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2018, 08:48:52 PM »
AS you all mentioned, turns out that it's HOT peel for, but must be met with a higher temp and more pressure.
Today, we have some 3 colors that adhere well, but the one color type below it is thin type yet is not getting (as much) contact pressure. So it's a bit uneven. We were reluctant to put down "too much pressure" for fear of....is donno what would happen.   Just way more pressure (and heat in some cases) than called for is needed.