Author Topic: Newbie  (Read 4719 times)

Offline sandlotapparel

Re: Newbie
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2018, 10:31:45 AM »
The only problem I’ve had with the dryer is the amount of heat it pumps into the garage.  That’s not really an issue this time of year, but the summer in Texas gets a little warm.

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2018, 11:19:14 AM »
Got news for you I am in central NY and it doesn't matter if you are running shirts and a dryer and a flash it gets HOT .
I have measured my shop ceiling temps at 112 degrees .  fans circiulating air help but you have to be real careful as a little air movement across your dryer will drop the temp big time.
mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2018, 11:30:09 AM »
The only problem I’ve had with the dryer is the amount of heat it pumps into the garage.  That’s not really an issue this time of year, but the summer in Texas gets a little warm.

That's obviously not due to the addition of a belt, but rather the increased area of heat panels. What dryer are you using? Many have a fan that powers a vent to the outside that would help a bit. Handy folks have rigged a DIY equivalent hood similar to those on a kitchen range and oven. Some of course, also air condition their shop.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2018, 10:24:54 PM »

Here are some pics I previously posted on how I removed a lot of the heat from my dryer......in my Texas garage, lol

The Flex tubing goes to the HOOD.  The fixed tubing is from the dryer's Exhaust Venting.

« Last Edit: December 25, 2018, 10:27:07 PM by screenxpress »
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2018, 09:13:20 PM »
Here's ours.  We have a 1200 cfm blower on the top to help move the hot air out.  It's been a life saver here.  So much less spillout heat.

Offline Prince Art

« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2018, 10:51:13 AM »
Last year, we added a layer of insulation panel around the outside of our dryer, and a small exhaust hood at the end. Fairly simple to do, and has made a noticeable difference.

The year before, we insulated the shop (which is in garage space), and we have a small a/c unit @ the press. That made the difference in whether or not we could stand to print during mid-day in the summer here in FL.

I didn't realize the impact a conveyor dryer would have on my production time.  It has been a total game changer for me. 

It took me too long to catch onto this concept, but I finally did: Try as hard as you can to improve efficiency in every part of your workflow, no matter how small your shop is. Sometimes this means equipment upgrades, like a better dryer, a dip tank, screen drying racks, etc. But it also has lot to do with layout, and reducing the number of steps (sometimes literally) it takes to get each particular task done. Much of what I've done has been DIY, and so some big improvements haven't even cost much. But whether purchased, built, or simply rearranged, moving from the mentality of "what can I get by with" to "what will make this work better" will indeed help you see gains in efficiency, and remove unnecessary headaches, as well!
Nice guys laugh last.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2018, 12:05:14 PM »
When I started working for 2 partners in '75, they had a Cincinnati dryer and a Vastex 4 color/4 station. Flashes had not been invented yet, so dryer was pretty necessary. Though I know a lot of have done just that, I can't imagine drying with a flash unit. We should only go so cheap (says the guy building an exposure lamp for chuckles, and as a backup to a 5000K MH) to start a business. My bosses back then were smart enough to get the dryer, printer, and vacuum frame, and bought a used arc lamp about a year later. That equipment, with enough personnel, made the shop grow rapidly. Best of luck to you and the missus!

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline sandlotapparel

« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2019, 03:35:19 PM »
Just now getting a chance to check back in on here.  Thanks for all of the ideas on removing heat around the dryer.  I will have to get to work on something to help with the heat.  I might end up combining a few of the ideas together.  I will post when I have it finished.