Author Topic: Well Hello...  (Read 1153 times)

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
Well Hello...
« on: January 10, 2019, 11:20:50 AM »
It's been a while.  I've been running a press for the past 2 years and rarely have had time to get on here and socialize or post.  I haven't even had time to read many posts so I don't know what's going on around here or if any of the old guard is still posting.  I hope not, those D-bags got on my nerves  ;)

After 2 years of doing most of the work around here I've finally got a crew that I think might actually stick around and although they've got a lot to learn they are able to handle running the press most of the day.  Hopefully I can spend some more time around here and I can take part in some learning/teaching.  I looked around the last few days and it seems like things/topics have changed a little bit since the older days but maybe that has a lot to do with people using the search function and all of the major issues and topics have been discussed a good bit.  Or maybe all the new guys know it all and don't need any help from us salty dogs. 

So, anyone want to debate the merits of tension?  Roller frames versus statics?  High (proper tension for that mesh count) tension is king, roller frames are far superior to statics, thin thread is where it's at and if you don't agree with any of that then you're a dumbass...how about that???  Anyone triggered or should I poke a little harder?  Ok, how are them lightweight green machines working out for everyone???  :)  I had an air leak on the G3 a few months back, but $0 & 10 minutes of labor later it was fixed.

Well well well, I'll either get banned or light a fire, I'm good either way.  Here's to a great 19'!!!
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Well Hello...
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2019, 11:36:03 AM »
Hey Alan,

'good to see you back! Now go ahead and stir the pot, things have been getting a little stale around here.  ;D

pierre

p.s. super happy with the green machines. No downtime with one and the demo one had few smaller pieces replaced without being down (I think we had a head OOC for a day or two and one of the flashes was out for few days, but these were all within the first couple of months).
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline T Shirt Farmer

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2019, 11:39:30 AM »
Great to see you back, you always have added solid content the board.

Robert
allpremiums.com
Your Source for Decorated Apparel.

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2019, 11:46:35 AM »
Rollers and plastisol are both overrated and not necessary...  ;D  Pot stirred.
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline californiadreamin

• !!!
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2019, 11:52:42 AM »
It’s about time !!!
I hope all is well with you and yours.
Now i can sit back and enjoy my popcorn, as the pot is finally stirred????
Winston

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2019, 12:05:03 PM »
Or enjoy your pot as the popcorn will be stirred. 8)
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2019, 01:49:50 PM »
Alan, you showed me how to measure EOM.
What EOM are you using with the S meshes you use.
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il

Offline californiadreamin

• !!!
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2019, 02:21:28 PM »
Or enjoy your pot as the popcorn will be stirred. 8)

Yes! We can enjoy our pot here. Which causes even  more popcorn to be eatin????
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 02:25:11 PM by Frog »

Offline IntegrityShirts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2019, 04:44:15 PM »
Two of my press-memory batteries died about 8 months apart. That's all that's happened, you're all caught up! Ever since Brandt said screen printing was easy I quit posting lol!

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2019, 06:38:36 AM »
Welcome back Alan, how you liking the G3? I am knocking my shop wall down the 28th in preparation for a G3 most likely a 18/20.

Two of my press-memory batteries died about 8 months apart. That's all that's happened, you're all caught up! Ever since Brandt said screen printing was easy I quit posting lol!

Well there was a little more context to my thoughts on that....lol.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline Nation03

• Gonzo Member
  • The Dude abides.
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2019, 07:47:05 AM »
Hey Alan welcome back! Been wondering where you've been on here. I recently joined the M&R club. Should have an install date for my slightly used Diamondback S within the next couple of weeks. Aint no G3 but I'm excited.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2019, 09:22:19 AM »
Great to hear from from you, I hope all is well...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2019, 09:24:33 AM »
Alan, you showed me how to measure EOM.
What EOM are you using with the S meshes you use.

Trying to keep the ratio as close to 15% as we can but that is not so easy to do with lower mesh.  Finding the right scoop coater with just the right edge, the right pressure, the right speed, with your emulsion of choice (ours is currently Ulano QXO) and then making sure you never change that once you figure it out...means that I coat all the screens right now and I'm perfectly fine with that.  Even a 1/1 technique will put down too much emulsion on mesh counts under 225, here.  And I refuse to only do one coat (maybe I'll do some experimenting and measure that technique soon) so that means getting creative with lower mesh screens.  On some of our really low mesh I'll do a 1 over 1, then scrape the emulsion off both sides and that's about the only way to get a 15% EOM on a 120/54 with our current tools.  Keep in mind all this info changes as soon as you change one tiny thing.

Unfortunately the glisten method isn't working with our current setup.  It puts down too much emulsion.  If I coat a 270 until the ink side glistens then finish with just a single coat the EOM/R will be 25% or so.  WAY too high for that mesh count.  You can get away with thick stencils on lower mesh counts all day long and get benefits from it with a lot of artwork, but you'll pay the price above 150's.  The wider the tunnel the longer it can be and still shear the ink.

The G3 is spinning nicely.  A few weeks ago we were slow due to the holidays so I had the guys clean the press with tiny vacuum brushes and tooth brushes so she's looking brand new.  The RPM is still here but she hasn't been used much.  Just like always, we keep finding new and better ways to increase efficiency so when I thought we'd be rocking two autos at our current volume we just blast right past that and we're still able to get it all done and then some with just one auto and one shift. 
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline IntegrityShirts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2019, 09:28:25 AM »
Welcome back Alan, how you liking the G3? I am knocking my shop wall down the 28th in preparation for a G3 most likely a 18/20.

Well there was a little more context to my thoughts on that....lol.

Haha I know I'm just busting your balls. I sort of miss the old wild west days of Digitsmith (sans people getting screwed out of money). Our safe place here is often pretty boring.

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2019, 10:34:27 AM »
Maybe Alan needs to jump in the thread about one hit whites. He's been working on this a while and I'd bet he's as close to it as anyone. My gut tells me he'll get it. He's not chasing unicorns, he constantly improving all of his systems to get closer and ultimately achieve it. Just a thought for all of that down time you have now Alan.
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA