Author Topic: plotter suggestions  (Read 2620 times)

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
Re: plotter suggestions
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2018, 09:36:59 AM »
I got myself a Graphtec CE5000-24 about 6 years ago. That got me in the signage vinyl too.
Paid itself in a month because I did signage so 20 trailers. After a year I upgraded to Graphtec FC8600-54" and not looking back.
Now, sales of my business are about 50/50 between apparel and signage.

But yes on Graphtec and yes on a minimum of 24".

Offline Pangea

• !!!
  • Jack of all trades, master of none.
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2018, 11:06:50 AM »
I have the same one as Frog since I wanted something that didn't take up too much space and could handle small decals and HTV here and there. Ended up getting a couple of jobs to die cut gold foil laser printed labels for the "medical" field and paid the thing off in a day. The ability to read registration marks is really cool and opens up a lot of possibilities.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2018, 11:27:49 AM »

The ability to read registration marks is really cool and opens up a lot of possibilities.

I may pick your brain on that at some point, (either PM or a new thread) because, though I rarely mess with opaque transfers, it did intrigue me. However, when I first explored trying it out, I got nowhere.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline StinkyDaddy

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2018, 11:59:35 AM »
I have a 30" Roland Camm1 that I bought used when my 20 yr old son was in a car seat, it still cuts like a champ. I cut straight from Illy, just set the line width to .01.

Offline balloonguy

• !!!
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2018, 12:13:10 PM »

The ability to read registration marks is really cool and opens up a lot of possibilities.

I may pick your brain on that at some point, (either PM or a new thread) because, though I rarely mess with opaque transfers, it did intrigue me. However, when I first explored trying it out, I got nowhere.
Don't worry about derailing the thread. This is something I would be very interested in learning too.
When you dig grave will you make it shallow so that I can feel the rain?

Offline Pangea

• !!!
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2018, 09:56:05 AM »

Don't worry about derailing the thread. This is something I would be very interested in learning too.

So basically you create two layers, one with the artwork and one with a cut line. The Cutting Master software allows you to place 2 to 4 registration marks around the image so when you print it (only artwork layer) on say inkjet transfer paper it prints the marks for the optical eye on the Graphtec cutting head to read the cut line layer. When you load the paper you position the blade near the vertex of the first registration mark, tell the software to start cutting the cut line only and it'll read all of the marks then reposition it at the start and begin cutting.

Here's an album of how I print stickers and use the plotter to actually die cut all the way through:

https://imgur.com/a/6b31y

There are a lot of people that say you can't die cut on the CE series plotters without a carrier sheet but you totally can as long as you lay out the cuts offset from each other and really really dial in your settings but that's a whole other thread.

Offline balloonguy

• !!!
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2018, 10:29:02 AM »
That is an awesome post. What kind of beer is that in 20th or so picture? NA I presume.  ;)

Offline Pangea

• !!!
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2018, 04:20:28 PM »
Thanks! I think it's a Dogfish Head 60 minute, usually I'll get Natty Boh but I must've been feeling like a big spender. (This was before I quit my full time job and had a steady income ;))

Offline balloonguy

• !!!
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2018, 09:47:01 PM »
too funny! I brew my own now so I can have those big beers at a much lower cost. Plus it is fun to make!
What kind of ink/paper are you using for the screen printed decals? I may want to try this?

Offline Pangea

• !!!
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2018, 10:52:10 AM »
I've always wanted to get in to that but haven't had the time yet.

I use rolls of Greenstar vinyl from USCutter that I chop down to fit on the vacuum table and Nazdar 4700 ink. It's water based so no fumes but if it's going on a high traffic area (water bottles/laptops) it needs to be clear coated. I've got non clear coated ones sticking up outside around town that are 3+ years old and they still look great.

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2018, 01:35:10 PM »
It's water based so no fumes but if it's going on a high traffic area (water bottles/laptops) it needs to be clear coated. I've got non clear coated ones sticking up outside around town that are 3+ years old and they still look great.

I realized how bad the GV series from Nazdar was when I started *liking* the fumes.

What are you using to clearcoat?

FWIW General Formulations makes sheet vinyl, beats cutting rolls down and trying to register with your sheets curling up.

Offline Pangea

• !!!
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2018, 10:02:23 AM »
I'm using the same (Nazdar 4700) to clear coat, seems to work just fine. Just requested an account with GF, thanks for the suggestion! When I was looking for sheets they ended up being 3x what cutting down the sheets cost and I'd still have to cut them down since my vacuum table is small.

Offline balloonguy

• !!!
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2019, 10:49:13 AM »
Just wanted to give a quick update to this.
We bought the cte lite against my better judgement. We have had nothing but trouble. The tech support at graphtec told me "it's broken" and hung up. I got about no communication from them after that. I did send an email to the corporate office with my complaint and got an apology but no help. Rob at Tubelite (where we bought) was great but just not familiar with the unit. After several weeks of load issues, not seeing media and having to find a work around for anything and everything I try to cut I decided to return the plotter. 2 weeks after that I got a call from tubelite that they will send a new one. Great. Yesterday, (2 weeks after the proposed solution) I get a return label from graphtec. I emailed back that I would this out today but more importantly when is the replacement coming? It is their policy to get the old unit back before sending the replacement. It seems like paying for equipment in November and still not being able to use it in February is nuts. I doubt I will ever get in to large format graphics but if I do I can guaranty it will not be with these guys.