Author Topic: Hey Corel users  (Read 1622 times)

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
Hey Corel users
« on: January 14, 2019, 09:20:28 PM »
I did a separation for a Corel user who would print the films from Corel. I sent a single photoshop file with the garment and the seps over top. Then I find he doesn't ahve Photoshop, so I split them up into individual greyscale files. They had reggies and color names added in.  That didn't work. So he asked me to send a PDF file. So I re-saved each one as a PDF...and also another set as high rez jpg's. Still, he could not import and print.

I have had many of Corel users just import and print with no issues. I figure it's a process thing not in sequence.

Thoughts/Suggestions?
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Hey Corel users
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2019, 10:30:35 PM »
Most likely is using a version of Corel lower than  Corel 16 . I have the same issue with many PDF files in Corel 14
Moosenan
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2019, 11:13:54 PM »
If you have the artwork already reggied and color named ready to print, why not just output each color as its own .ps file and have the customer just print with a RIP or at the very least....Ghost RIP, like I do which is free?

Eliminates all issues between software and versions.

Just my thoughts.
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2019, 11:38:22 PM »
That I'm curious about. It's been 15 years maybe since I have used PostScript.  So, why save in PS other than to avoid issues like you mentioned with programs and files?  Whats the other benefits if you still need to go through RIP?  and I do remember PS having it's own issues. LOL.  Not that I'm knocking the method. I just don't know enough anymore about it.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Doug B

• !!!
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 06:48:59 AM »
  What kind of "grayscale files? Some of the older Corel versions do some wacky things when going
between AI and Corel. Sometimes a .tif file is the only thing I could get to work when I had an older
version (our art department only used AI and we output films here). I have not had that issue since I upgraded to 16 and then 17. There have even been times that a .tif hasn't worked unless I exported
each file and then imported into a new document. Sometimes Corel and Ai just don't play well together.

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2019, 02:21:20 PM »
That I'm curious about. It's been 15 years maybe since I have used PostScript.  So, why save in PS other than to avoid issues like you mentioned with programs and files?  Whats the other benefits if you still need to go through RIP?  and I do remember PS having it's own issues. LOL.  Not that I'm knocking the method. I just don't know enough anymore about it.

I probably cannot answer all your specific questions with any factual authority. 

But I can say all my files from both Photoshop and Corel are created using 'write to file' and output as postscript (.ps) extension file names.  Then opened using GhostRIP and printed. 

So in line with that, I'm thinking that .ps files may be passed around eliminating any limitation as to the origination software or software version levels.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it  :)

Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers