Author Topic: CTS Wax - Taking the plunge  (Read 10016 times)

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: CTS Wax - Taking the plunge
« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2019, 04:26:41 AM »
Guys lets keep this friendly.
I contacted Douthitt and they say you can add a block, best not to overfill and to check using a dip stick.
(If you lift the cover there is a hole to put it in).
2" is full, 1" can add.
As for which to use, I went with the Douthitt because I heard great things about there service and since I now have one I can vouch for this,
and if you read the posts over the years there has been so much discussion about which dye to use on the I Image and problems with the different options.
I played it safe.     
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2019, 10:23:30 AM »
Guys lets keep this friendly.
I contacted Douthitt and they say you can add a block, best not to overfill and to check using a dip stick.
(If you lift the cover there is a hole to put it in).
2" is full, 1" can add.
As for which to use, I went with the Douthitt because I heard great things about there service and since I now have one I can vouch for this,
and if you read the posts over the years there has been so much discussion about which dye to use on the I Image and problems with the different options.
I played it safe.     

I don't have a problem with either machine or imaging type. Wax or ink. I'd used either.  We all also know that there is nothing wrong with Douthit or M&R.  Both good. Both good service.
Both will eventually have issues. (all machines do).  If you haven't had any issues, you will know soon enough, but isn't it great that you haven't so far? But that's not to say that when you do have an issue, that it's to be considered crap now or inferior to the other brand. It's just not the case. Again, they both will have issues pop up.   One reason you don't get to read all of the issues a wax machine has had over the years (long before M&R even made them is because there just aren't that many out there comparatively. It used to be, only the big shops had them and most big shops don't post. And I know first hand, the issue shops had with wax (in the past). They are not the same as yesterdays Wax printers but they will and do still come with some issues that comes with using wax versus wet ink.  Wet ink has it's own issues.

What you all choose is your own business and you have your own specific reasons. It's not right or wrong, just yours.

For me, I'm going to choose a used I-Image.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2019, 10:37:53 AM »
I'm still using film and a 3000/1430, somebody got to keep the film guys in business ;D
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline DannyGruninger

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2019, 02:28:32 PM »
Dan, are you starting a new shop or did I miss some news? Last I remember you were hired to do art/seps for that shop tony went to that had all brand new equipment? Just curious

Danny Gruninger
Denver Print House / Lakewood Colorado
https://www.instagram.com/denverprinthouse

Offline T Shirt Farmer

« Reply #49 on: June 19, 2019, 02:44:49 PM »
 ;)
Robert
allpremiums.com
Your Source for Decorated Apparel.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #50 on: June 19, 2019, 04:51:26 PM »
Dan, are you starting a new shop or did I miss some news? Last I remember you were hired to do art/seps for that shop tony went to that had all brand new equipment? Just curious

Yes. Have moved on to new opportunities.  I wear many hats, so no title, but I'm in the drivers seat.  Currently in house, a 6 clr manual, an old 6 clr auto,  an new 18 clr auto,  An Epson F2000 DTG, a Kornit Storm ll, (upgrading to HD6), three dryers including our EcoTex for the DTG.

On order we have (2) 14 clrs, an Auto coater, An Eco-Rince, an I-Image STEll   It's coming together.

to add to that, rather than make another post, I'll mention tho, there was nothing wrong with my last job. It will be great for the right person. It was a good job, reliable and safe but I didn't see myself retiring from there. This move was intended to be closer to family. It just so happens that this fell in my lap at the right time in the town where most of my family already resides. It also comes with more responsibility and opportunities. I do art/seps, sales, process improvement, quality control, and new business development. We have three buildings but combining/planning is in the process.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 05:10:10 PM by Dottonedan »
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #51 on: June 19, 2019, 08:10:50 PM »
I think its comical how people think they have to change a standard set up like the amount of wax put in a machine. Don't you guys think if it was a REAL problem that the Doutthit Corp. would have made the modification to half of the amount of wax?  Just sayin

It has to do with adding wax before you really need to be.  It's like adding a full tank of gas to a car when it's on half a tank.

On the flip side, it's comical how many ink types ink jets have had to have developed to work properly, and how you may have to change emulsions for it to work properly.

Wax sticks to everything out there, is more opaque, and works great and we are using the same wax that has worked forever.  Having to cut a block of wax in half is a small trade off, everything has it's pros and cons
Did EXILE contact you already and offer you to change to their new wax?

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #52 on: June 19, 2019, 09:56:29 PM »
Dan! Congratulations that's awesome. Super happy for you man!

Offline BP

« Reply #53 on: June 20, 2019, 07:06:15 AM »
There is a lot of good info on the thread. I am jumping in with both feet. I am liking wax but not sure about service? So with wax or ink who has had a bad time with parts or service????

SHIRT HAPPENS!

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #54 on: June 20, 2019, 08:25:25 AM »
I hear great things about Douthit and their sales contact Mark Diel (Spelling) who post here now and then.  Wet ink, (M&R) is also known for great service.  You can get some stories of not such a great experience here and there from both. Out of that, they are both tops in their field of service.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #55 on: June 20, 2019, 08:29:22 AM »
I hear great things about Douthit and their sales contact Mark Diel (Spelling) who post here now and then.  Wet ink, (M&R) is also known for great service.  You can get some stories of not such a great experience here and there from both. Out of that, they are both tops in their field of service.

I would agree with that statement 100%.

Offline BP

« Reply #56 on: June 20, 2019, 11:42:32 AM »
Dan, I heard that Douthitt service is good. And We are a blue shop and have worked with them for the past 30 years. I have a number for Mark at Douthitt.

Thanks!
SHIRT HAPPENS!

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #57 on: June 20, 2019, 01:54:04 PM »
Dan! Congratulations that's awesome. Super happy for you man!

Thanks!  I'm still learning as I go. I didn't intend on making a public announcement about it, but it's no secret either. LOL.  I informed my move to my partners here before I made the move just to keep them in the loop.
Then of course Tony P knew and one other on the board here.

Never really took a shop from where it's at to new levels (in various areas on my own. I've mostly just built up the art/seps part.  We have another guy here that helps with everything on a management level, but he's new to the industry and more of the main sales person. I do sales also, but more to specific areas if business and whatever local stuff I come across.

We do some contract printing and some custom. I am more focusing on building the contract printing and the retail end for supplying retail locations with our designs.

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #58 on: June 20, 2019, 01:59:50 PM »
I checked with Mark Diehl at Douthitt, he said that the best way to measure the wax level is with a dip stick.
Low level is 1" and full 2".
As you see in the attached picture that's pretty accurate, the ink low warning started flashing I checked, it was 1".
I put a full block of wax into the unit and checked again 2".
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #59 on: June 20, 2019, 04:08:06 PM »
Is that stick part of the items that come with the printer or can you use any type of stick?