Author Topic: Education  (Read 3373 times)

Offline lancasterprinthouse

Education
« on: January 27, 2019, 05:30:05 PM »
Short of YouTube, does anyone have any suggestions for high quality online color sep courses? I know Scott Fresner does an online course.. are there any others?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 05:35:32 PM by lancasterprinthouse »

Offline Nation03

• Gonzo Member
  • The Dude abides.
Re: Education
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2019, 07:51:55 PM »
Got the ISS AC brochure in the mail a few days ago. Looks like there is a full course on color separation. I'm not sure how detailed it is but I'd like to brush up my skills a bit. I do all my own spot color seps but I'd like to learn more about gradients and process myself.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2019, 11:07:40 PM »
supposedly Mitch Different's book is the best one out there. I did not read it, but is what I was told. . .

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2019, 11:47:29 PM »
supposedly Mitch Different's book is the best one out there. I did not read it, but is what I was told. . .

pierre

Thanks.  I may be checking that out myself, even though I have been using Ultraseps (horrors, an automated one, lol)

To me, Mitch's price is hard to turn down-

http://mitchdifferent.com/book.htm

And even has a testimonial by our own DotTone
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2019, 05:52:48 PM »
I read Mitch's book, though I learned before there were automated sep packages (I also use UltraSeps, saves a lot of time, and Hi Fi Ink, also very good) and it is sound. I always like to get other people's takes on how they think as they work through the process. I'll separate with different packages to see which gets me closest to what I'm looking for, and tweak away from there. He put a lot of thought into, and I'm sure you'll find it illuminating...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2019, 07:56:16 PM »
Mitch's book is a good one if not the best. It's at the least, one of the best.  He provided a good solid method to do sim process and a few other basic sep techniques or approaches to various "types" of art.

The thing about it, (coming from a guy who's never written a book or has done complete video's) He shows his one method.  I myself, have always been a wannabe writer or Tut provider. Thing is, I don't have one method that I consider (the one) so I use many and evaluate my best options. Many jobs are Frankensteined together from RGB, CMYK, Greyscale, carious color modes and special conversion settings, Copy paste from RGB or cmyk specific elements to greyscale, masking, selections, manual edits etc. It's all pixels to me. It just depends on how many shades I need in those pixels in the right place to do what I'm looking for and at the right resolution. If I ever did a complete vid, it would be both lengthy and cumbersome to follow I imagine...unless I laid it out very well before hand and that is the prob.  I need to spend my time on freelance to keep everyone in the family comfy.

Resolution is an important part of a good sep file that gets overlooked by many as an option to achieve specific things.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline lancasterprinthouse

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2019, 04:46:38 PM »

pierre

Thanks for the tip. I did purchase the book and look forward to reading it.

Mitch's book is a good one if not the best. It's at the least, one of the best.  He provided a good solid method to do sim process and a few other basic sep techniques or approaches to various "types" of art.

The thing about it, (coming from a guy who's never written a book or has done complete video's) He shows his one method.  I myself, have always been a wannabe writer or Tut provider. Thing is, I don't have one method that I consider (the one) so I use many and evaluate my best options. Many jobs are Frankensteined together from RGB, CMYK, Greyscale, carious color modes and special conversion settings, Copy paste from RGB or cmyk specific elements to greyscale, masking, selections, manual edits etc. It's all pixels to me. It just depends on how many shades I need in those pixels in the right place to do what I'm looking for and at the right resolution. If I ever did a complete vid, it would be both lengthy and cumbersome to follow I imagine...unless I laid it out very well before hand and that is the prob.  I need to spend my time on freelance to keep everyone in the family comfy.

Resolution is an important part of a good sep file that gets overlooked by many as an option to achieve specific things.

I appreciate the input. My goal in this is not to wear another hat, so to speak. Being a small business I already have enough to wear. Frankly you do great seps and having you do them is much easier on my schedule than finding time to do themself. Knowledge is key and gaining a better understanding of the overall process, different ways to process images and key components of good seps is really what I am after. I figure the more I know, the better I am on press even if someone else does the initial separations.