Author Topic: Measuring shirt temp?  (Read 5072 times)

Online GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
Measuring shirt temp?
« on: May 01, 2011, 02:57:50 PM »
Are most of you using donut probes or something else?  If so what brand and where to buy it and such?

We are using a laser temp gun which is not exactly the best way but also do a stretch test and such.  But want to get a more dialed in reading.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: Measuring shirt temp?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 03:01:30 PM »
Google Atkins or Atkins Donut Probe. The probe and readout unit are often sold separate, and I am thinking that the probe could be used with some other digital thermometers.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 03:06:27 PM »
Same as you, off-contact thermometer and a stretch test.
For someone like me with a pretty basic conveyor dryer (and no room for an upgrade) I find it necessary to test during the first half hour of printing to really get it to settle down, and that's after a half hour of initial warm-up and so-so stabilization. Aside from my inbred Scots thrift (what others call being too cheap), I'm not sure how much the purchase of a donut probe would help me, other than it's relative dead-on accuracy, but a temperature in a range, coupled with sufficient dwell, has done the job so far.
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .

Offline killergraphics

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 03:11:37 PM »
X2

Offline Fresh Baked Printing

• "Tattoo Free Since 1965"
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 03:15:38 PM »
Are you guys checking each time you fire up?
50% of the time I'm 100% right.
http://www.spiffylab.com

Offline killergraphics

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 03:33:17 PM »
To be honest no.

I can pretty much tell by the feel of the shirt on exit.

The way my dryer sits even on a windy open door day.

It is ok.

My Cinnie dryer has three cow rods and I can look inside to see if they are working or not.

My first few dryers were IR's and digital. Themos going out and burning wire ends off and god forbid replacing a digital controller.

For me a precentage hot rod dryer is just better with less to go wrong.

Offline ftembroidery

• !!!
  • Just got new glasses, but I'm still disillusioned
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2011, 03:33:49 PM »
I've used both the donut probe and the non-contact gun.  While a gentleman & I got into a lengthy back & forth "discussion" on one of the boards once about the accuracy of non-contact temperature guns, the non-contact gun IS accurate when close to the object being tested.

I would reach inside the dryer (a fore-arms length) and take the temp of the ink (the gun had a laser "pointer" feature so I knew where it was pointed) with the gun an inch or two from the shirt.  The reason I reached in was on my dryer (Hix) there was an area at the end of the heat chamber that was isolated from the heat.  It was about 6 or 8 inches long.  If I had waited for the shirt to exit the dryer before taking its temperature, it would have already been cooling off for a period of time and given me a lower than expected reading.  I would then have increased the temp (unnessisarily) to compensate.

I also found the donut probe to be slow in responding.  My primary ink/supplies merchant told me that it had been his experience that the donut probes don't work well with short dryers (which is what I had), but they did well in long dryers.
Grant me the ability to change the things I can, the strength to accept the things I cannot and the wisdom to recognize the difference.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2011, 03:54:02 PM »
I have a little more time now to respond more completely.
I, too rely on my settings (a combination of panel distance, temp setting, and belt speed) learned from experience, a draft free environment, and a non-contact thermometer.
However as we all know, the readings of a non-contact thermometer are only accurate relative to other things we have learned. They are only accurate as a surface reading, and then, as Nick pointed out, more accurate the closer one is. While one may learn, that a surface reading of 390 just before exit translates to the entire ink layer having reached 310, or 325, or whatever one has found, these readings and translations even change from shirt color and ink layer differences.
The donut probe, a weighted sensor, actually sitting in a film of ink has to be more accurate.

Also, the best test is, and always has been multiple launderings.

Offline killergraphics

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2011, 03:58:22 PM »
It also feels good to just have a puff of smoke right at exit. For me anyway. :o

Offline yorkie

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2011, 04:09:41 PM »
Temperature guns can be VERY deceptive. Because the gun "sees" the heat, shiny things can reflect the IR light. So where you think you are measuring the ink, you are actually getting a martial reading from what the light being reflected via the ink. For a flash dryer, it is easy to get readings of 500+ degrees and still not cure the shirt, this is because the the heating elements of the dryer are being recorded.

I use the "pope" method to determine when a shirt is cured. When i see the white smoke, i know the job is done. When the shirts come out of the dryer, a short benediction (pull test) is performed to confirm the event.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2011, 04:18:40 PM »
It also feels good to just have a puff of smoke right at exit. For me anyway. :o

If any of your past posts are an indication, you have a lot of exits.  ;D

I recommend waiting until the very last shirt of the day exits.

Online GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2011, 04:21:11 PM »
I feel like we are way to hot.  But I could be wrong.  I had 2 pullers the other day and we where running about 60dz and hour and they both had blisters in no time flat from pulling the shirts. 

Temp gun has been dropped a few times and I think its also reading "low" now.  It's shows we are low, but the shirts are way hotter than they used to be when we used our little dryer, I know that has to do with the length the garment is being heated and such but I still think we are high. 

Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline shellyky

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2011, 04:30:02 PM »
crazy logic question: Does a long chambered gas dryer "saturate" the whole shirt with heat, vs. a short electric dryer just hits the top?

I can barely touch the shirts --that is not normal, right?  i think im having a weird transition from electric to gas and getting my feel for "done" considering the ink deposits are now thinner with the auto vs. manual so they come out soft and im not used to that either.  i have a hard time in my head with soft does not equal still wet.

Offline squeegee

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2011, 04:36:13 PM »
We have a donut probe and it's great to have, especially since we are relatively new to discharge and water base.  Plastisol is time tested for us, so we don't always need it because we know where we have to be on dryer settings, but with a big variable like a discharge under base I wouldn't want to be without it.

Offline killergraphics

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2011, 04:40:19 PM »

If any of your past posts are an indication, you have a lot of exits.  ;D

I recommend waiting until the very last shirt of the day exits.

OK

Maybe I've become so simply its turned simplyminded.

I choose my friends for their good looks, my acquaintances for their good characters, and my enemies for their intellects. A man cannot be too careful in the choice of his enemies.
                           Oscar Wilde

« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 05:12:12 PM by killergraphics »