Author Topic: Auto Folders and Baggers - Opinions?  (Read 1244 times)

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
Auto Folders and Baggers - Opinions?
« on: January 30, 2019, 07:15:21 PM »
We are folding and bagging around 5k pieces a week right now and the labor is destroying us so we will be buying an auto folder/bagger asap.  Footprint is currently an issue (and the ability to easily move it in a matter of months) so we are looking at the smaller units right now.  The T-mini from Dekken (sold through Hirsch) is looking pretty awesome, but we just committed to getting this so we are still researching.

Here is the T-Mini: https://dekkenusa.com/t-mini/

Do any other companies make a similar product, or a product in a similar price range ($30k to $50k) depending on bells and whistles.  We do need the auto bagging, but are fine dedicating a body to sealing and labeling for now.  Anyone own one of the Dekken units or a competitors unit and have first hand experience?  What questions should I be asking beyond the basics that I may not be thinking of?  Thanks!

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
Re: Auto Folders and Baggers - Opinions?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2019, 07:46:08 PM »
if i recall that was a big highlight at ISS, due to the size. Roq has one that's similiar, but it only does folding if memory serves.

What's the price on the dekken?
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2019, 08:59:54 PM »
Jameson - have you looked at the FoldR?

https://www.screenprinting.com/products/foldr-automatic-t-shirt-folding-machine

This doesn't have the bells and whistles the Dekken has - but the price may be more palatable.

This could also free your cashflow up to make a bigger and better purchase when you get into a bigger space.

Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline LoneWolf2

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2019, 10:48:37 PM »
Check out the smaller Nedco folder. https://nedcofold.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/8121/2018/08/TX-5-Folder-Brochure-063015.pdf

Should be a better option than the Ryonet/Dekken option.

In all reality, i'd just go ahead and get a k950/auto bagger (or omni bagger) if you're going to spend the money. You can put it on casters and roll it in and out of the space as needed. I do that with mine currently.

Offline zanegun08

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2019, 12:50:13 AM »
We are looking at the larger Dekken.  Currently have a Amscomatic K950 without the long arm extension or the automatic bagger so someone has to push the shirt into a bag (two operators)

I'm surprised that they are asking 30k-40k for that mini one, or I guess I'm not really.

We are very interested in the Dekken T-Apparel, however at ~80k, and ~120k when you get the bagger / sticker printer / applicator, it's a big investment.  However it is way more versatile, the floor space is smaller than competitors, and it works with tech fabrics with no issues.

The thing I'm hung up on, is that it just looks like a Chinese rebrand with a 60k markup - https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Hot-sale-durable-electric-towel-folding_60816562004.html?spm=a2700.7724838.2017115.12.572d71e0xybtkj
These are for folding "towels" but the fold / flip is the same as a t-shirt.  If only I spoke mandarin and could really figure it out!

The only con of the Dekken units is that you have to lay your shirt face down to fold, meaning if you have picky customers that want the tag facing the right way, or the image "perfectly" centered in their fold / packaging, it may become more difficult since you image is facing down.

Other than that they look like great units, just that price tag.... damn.  Especially when I have a hunch it is a rebadge.

Offline DannyGruninger

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2019, 01:13:40 AM »
Zane, I had a quote on the larger Dekken w/ stacker and labeling options come in at 164,750.
Danny Gruninger
Denver Print House / Lakewood Colorado
https://www.instagram.com/denverprinthouse

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2019, 06:37:00 AM »
That T-Mini looks interesting. We fold/bag every week but not like crazy amounts. That might be the ticket for us.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2019, 08:35:26 AM »
The cheaper units, like what Colin linked, won't work for us because they don't bag. Yes the t-mini is triple the price, but we really need the bagging option. There are also add-ons for auto sealing and labeling based on what I was told. I would love to get one of the $80k+ units that does it all faster, but the floorspace is an issue for now.

We are kind of stuck in between choices, the 10k units that wont really help us as much as we need and the 80k units that are too big until we move. We may just hold off until the move...

I've read though all the past threads here and rich mentioned m&r had something in the 25k range but I dnt find any info on that...any ideas?

Offline zanegun08

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2019, 02:43:49 PM »
Zane, I had a quote on the larger Dekken w/ stacker and labeling options come in at 164,750.

Yikes, getting a new quote now as it's the only unit that does everything we need that will fit our floorspace as it takes up around 25' x 8' or so.

We should all just buy Chinese ones at the same time so it forces them into the US market and to bring some support over here.

I'm currently at $139 with no sticker applicator shipped and installed, but wasn't a formal quote.  Will see where I end up.

However our current line takes two operators, and we pre-apply stickers to bags on a wicket, and cannot do long sleeves without prefolding, no hoodies, and tech garments don't work well.

With a fast approaching $15 minimum wage in Portland, you have a ~4.5 year ROI on wages if you are able to remove that extra labor (which never really happens)

Offline Admiral

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2019, 03:04:06 PM »
The cheaper units, like what Colin linked, won't work for us because they don't bag. Yes the t-mini is triple the price, but we really need the bagging option. There are also add-ons for auto sealing and labeling based on what I was told. I would love to get one of the $80k+ units that does it all faster, but the floorspace is an issue for now.

We are kind of stuck in between choices, the 10k units that wont really help us as much as we need and the 80k units that are too big until we move. We may just hold off until the move...

I've read though all the past threads here and rich mentioned m&r had something in the 25k range but I dnt find any info on that...any ideas?

K-950 is about 27K.  You can get a used bagger (that takes a person to move the shirt into) for $4K, at least that's what I sold our Omni-Bagger for.

We have a couple, they are great.  Like people have mentioned, changing to different garments would be an issue potentially (poly stuff, long sleeves requires expensive attachment), but they just run and they run fast.

I wouldn't touch the 'automated flip and fold' style stuff.  Sure it makes it easier to fold all day when needed but you want to move from a more manual stand point to mostly automated to really get the numbers up.

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2019, 07:07:30 PM »
Revisiting this.  We had a little lull, but right now it is looking like we will need to be packaging around 7500 pieces a week within a month or two based on current trending for our stores/brands, and upwards of 10k in 6 months.  I completely missed that the k950 was only 27k in your post. Can they really run at 1500 pieces an hour?  If you add a bunch of extras to it can it basically be single operator? (bags, labels, etc) with a support person just boxing and feeding the operator stock?  I like the idea that we could get it going for $30k or so and expand later.

Offline BorisB

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2019, 04:01:32 AM »
Anybody using Dekken T-mini?