screen printing > General Screen Printing

Still learning...

(1/3) > >>

im_mcguire:
Ok so last week, was one of the worst weeks I had for trouble shooting.

First off, we are running a 6 color Workhorse auto with 2 flashbacks. The job in question was a 6 color with discharge underbase and 5 top plastisol colors. Though I’ve never done this myself, I’ve looked at posts and saw many people who have done it with great success.
Here is where things started going wrong for us:
We burnt the first 6 screens on a roll of film that had about 20 feet remaining. Once the films were burnt, we noticed that the key color of the design and the underbase would not line up. And to make matters worse, our base was drying in the screen.
Being new to waterbased discharge, I was thinking I was just too slow, and my shop was too humid.

We decided to change the film roll, and print new films, and burn brand new screens just to start over.
We had the same issue with the underbase and key color.  I’ll keep this story short...
After 12 more screens of trying, I think to myself, could my flashback be causing issues after it flashes?
Sure enough that was the case. Trying to flash on the same head of the dc underbase, was putting so much vapor under the screen, that it actually warped my underbase when I did the second shirt.
I moved my flash to the unload station, and ran the discharge on the first rotation, and the top 5 colors on the second rotation all wet on wet, and had no issues.
Lesson learned. All the more reason our shop needs a bigger press...

blue moon:
nah, new press, new problems. None of this crap goes away. It does get a little easier, but there's headache every day. . .

You figured it out, that's what matters!

pierre

Frog:
The first suggestion that I would have made was to go back and check the films themselves, to narrow down where in the process the lining-up problem was occurring.

im_mcguire:

--- Quote from: Frog on February 04, 2019, 09:34:36 AM ---The first suggestion that I would have made was to go back and check the films themselves, to narrow down where in the process the lining-up problem was occurring.

--- End quote ---
Once I did that, and realized that was one of the first problems.  I changed to a new roll, and burned new screens.  Once they were dry, I placed my films on my burnt screen to make sure they lined up exactly.
Then when I did a p/p/f on the same head, and took a straight edge to the design after the flash, thats when the problem was in plain sight.

I want to leave this for all users of Flashbacks and discharge.  Don't print and flash on the same print head, it will cause you nothing but heart ache.

Frog:

--- Quote from: im_mcguire on February 04, 2019, 12:56:14 PM ---
--- Quote from: Frog on February 04, 2019, 09:34:36 AM ---The first suggestion that I would have made was to go back and check the films themselves, to narrow down where in the process the lining-up problem was occurring.

--- End quote ---
Once I did that, and realized that was one of the first problems.  I changed to a new roll, and burned new screens.  Once they were dry, I placed my films on my burnt screen to make sure they lined up exactly.
Then when I did a p/p/f on the same head, and took a straight edge to the design after the flash, thats when the problem was in plain sight.

I want to leave this for all users of Flashbacks and discharge.  Don't print and flash on the same print head, it will cause you nothing but heart ache.

--- End quote ---

What I meant was, to stack your films to confirm perfection before burning.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version