Author Topic: One of my absolute favorites  (Read 859 times)

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
One of my absolute favorites
« on: February 08, 2019, 01:39:17 PM »
Apropos of nothing, today I remembered what is probably my absolute favorite moment in movie music.
Let me set it up for those unfamiliar:
Ralph Machio plays Eugene, a classically trained guitar student at Julliard, who has a hankering to play the blues and find an unpublished lost song by Robert Johnson.
He hooks up with an old friend of Johnson's (who sold his soul to the devil like Johnson had as legend has it)
In this clip, Eugene has accepted a challenge to win his soul back in a fight to the finish with the Devil's guitarist (Steve Vai)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqdL36VKbMQ
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline BP

Re: One of my absolute favorites
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2019, 01:57:27 PM »
I would have to say some of the young printers on here do not know who Steve Vai is. Great music in that one!
SHIRT HAPPENS!

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2019, 02:01:00 PM »
I would have to say some of the young printers on here do not know who Steve Vai is. Great music in that one!
The same could probably be said of Robert Johnson

Offline dirkdiggler

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2019, 03:50:51 PM »
Love that movie, thats actually Vai playing both parts!  Of course no one thought the karate kid was really playing.
If he gets up, we'll all get up, IT'LL BE ANARCHY!-John Bender

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2019, 04:04:44 PM »
Saw that movie many years ago myself and I wish I could play those strings like that  8)
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2019, 05:32:21 PM »
Love that movie, thats actually Vai playing both parts!  Of course no one thought the karate kid was really playing.

Vai plays the electric stuff, the classical is Arlen Roth, and Bill Kanengiser, with Ry Cooder doing the acoustic blues. Roth worked with Ralph to help him fake it really well. I had already been playing 30 years plus and wasn't fooled, but wasn't expecting to be either. My wife and I always have a laugh watching some actor fake playing piano, with their arms flailing all over the place. I liked the movie anyway.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2019, 06:23:14 PM »
"His  name is Stevey Vai hes such a lucky guy". Guess where those lyrics come from?

Offline Northland

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2019, 07:29:14 PM »

[/quote]
"His  name is Stevey Vai hes such a lucky guy". Guess where those lyrics come from?
[/quote]
"Laurel was her name,
She came to Notre Dame"
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 07:45:28 PM by Northland »

Offline Northland

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2019, 07:41:18 PM »
Apropos of nothing, today I remembered what is probably my absolute favorite moment in movie music.
Let me set it up for those unfamiliar:
Ralph Machio plays Eugene, a classically trained guitar student at Julliard, who has a hankering to play the blues and find an unpublished lost song by Robert Johnson.
He hooks up with an old friend of Johnson's (who sold his soul to the devil like Johnson had as legend has it)
In this clip, Eugene has accepted a challenge to win his soul back in a fight to the finish with the Devil's guitarist (Steve Vai)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqdL36VKbMQ
Just 2 weeks a ago, I donated a bunch of vinyl (records) to Goodwill.
The Crossroads soundtrack was in that pile.
I hope it will brighten someone's day when they find it in the rack.

There was a couple records that also had fond memories.... "Abandoned Luncheonette"

The G3 tour is on my bucket list... so I hope to see Vai (and Satriani) somewhere down the road.
Speaking of "Down the road Wherever" (Mark Knopfler) it's my favorite of this new year.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIBCHh-fMUE&list=PLxKHVMqMZqUQ4hOy0VC5lBhhK_1wDs7ag

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2019, 10:40:21 AM »

Robert Johnson's step son (Robert Lockwood, went by Robert JR) used to live here in Cleveland. He played at a local Cajun restaurant for almost 20 years. He was a super nice guy, played the 12 string with very heavy jazz influence (still blues though). He passed away at 94 or so few years back. First funeral I went to since mid 80's. My favorite story was told by his wife. It was a New Year's Eve and Robert was in the basement practicing. His wife cam to get him so they can be upstairs for the ball drop. Robert said he was busy and would come up 15 before and that he still had an hour or so to work. WHen his wife said something about it, he replied that he was 90 and does not have much time left to practice and that he was going to take full advantage of the time he did have left!

Before he passed away, I often told ppl there were two things worth coming to Cleveland for. The RnR hall of fame and seeing Robert play. They named a street after him while he was still alive.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2019, 10:55:40 AM »

Robert Johnson's step son (Robert Lockwood, went by Robert JR) used to live here in Cleveland. He played at a local Cajun restaurant for almost 20 years. He was a super nice guy, played the 12 string with very heavy jazz influence (still blues though). He passed away at 94 or so few years back. First funeral I went to since mid 80's. My favorite story was told by his wife. It was a New Year's Eve and Robert was in the basement practicing. His wife cam to get him so they can be upstairs for the ball drop. Robert said he was busy and would come up 15 before and that he still had an hour or so to work. WHen his wife said something about it, he replied that he was 90 and does not have much time left to practice and that he was going to take full advantage of the time he did have left!

Before he passed away, I often told ppl there were two things worth coming to Cleveland for. The RnR hall of fame and seeing Robert play. They named a street after him while he was still alive.

pierre

Pretty good medical services and a decent symphony orchestra as well. Lets give props where due.  ;)