Author Topic: quick seperation studio question  (Read 5026 times)

Offline 1984solar

quick seperation studio question
« on: February 10, 2019, 10:19:54 PM »
does purchasing seperation studio from ryonet come with accurip? kind of unclear on the site.. Thanks

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
Re: quick seperation studio question
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 10:31:20 PM »
No, they are sold individually.

There are some packages that include both however.
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 02:34:24 PM »
why would you need the separation studio? In your other post you are asking some entry level questions and the other post is asking simulated process info (one of the most difficult things you could be doing).

'just curious, not trying to discourage. It would also be easier to answer the questions if we better understand how much you know. . .

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 02:58:30 PM »
After doing a search, to me that's kind of a pricey package.  Before purchasing anything I would investigate all available products for reviews and pricing.

It's a Photoshop Plug-in, like so many others. 

So, I suppose the next question is.....does the poster have Photoshop to start the separation process?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 03:03:06 PM by screenxpress »
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Online rusty

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 03:03:47 PM »
After doing a search, to me that's kind of a pricey package.  Before purchasing anything I would investigate all available products for reviews and pricing.

I think most things on Ryonets site is overpriced. They started out geared towards the entry level market...

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2019, 04:10:04 PM »
It's not just Ryonet.  I checked about 4 other sellers and the one being pushed (Advanced) is $489 on all. 

I did run across a Premium version for $199. 

Personally, I use Ultraseps so I don't have any actual knowledge about this product.  I just did some "surfing".
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2019, 08:25:23 PM »

So, I suppose the next question is.....does the poster have Photoshop to start the separation process?

Sep studio is actually a stand alone product :)

Separation packages have historically never been cheap....
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2019, 10:08:49 PM »

Sep studio is actually a stand alone product :)

Separation packages have historically never been cheap....

I stand corrected, lol.  I must have run across something old on the internet.  The manual indicates at one time in the 90s it was a plug in but now is a stand alone. 

Tks

Offline 1984solar

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2019, 12:09:05 AM »
why would you need the separation studio? In your other post you are asking some entry level questions and the other post is asking simulated process info (one of the most difficult things you could be doing).

'just curious, not trying to discourage. It would also be easier to answer the questions if we better understand how much you know. . .

pierre

The screens i burn have good halftone results so I don't see any harm in trying simulated process. Particularly excited to try it on black with a discharge underbase. Not sure how I can learn without trying it. For the other replies I got.. Im interested in sep studio because out of all the hours of video i watched of different programs being used its the one that made the most sense to me. Seems like you have to mess around with the UB and top white values a bunch but seems very user friendly. and yes i have PS been using it for years. Thanks for your answers everyone.

Offline 1984solar

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2019, 12:15:21 AM »
as well as a lot of troubleshooting or recreating colors on press id imagine

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2019, 07:16:56 AM »
my suggestion is, and I think almost everybody here would agree, send the seps out when starting. The programs don't generate usable results without tweaking and you don't have the experience to know what is right or wrong. Get some seps done by the professionals and learn the printing part first. then when you have a good grasp of that part, work on the seps. Process printing is a deep rabbit hole, it is easy to jump in and get going, but to get good at it takes quite a bit. Make your life easier by using good seps while starting. You'll be tackling one thing at a time and reducing the questions while troubleshooting. If something is not looking right, you'll know it's you rather than the seps.
pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline BP

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2019, 08:24:59 AM »
Blue Moon is right. Printing is one thing and the seps are another monster. Plus when you master the printing you will know what to look for in good seps.
SHIRT HAPPENS!

Offline Nation03

• Gonzo Member
  • The Dude abides.
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2019, 08:53:38 AM »
Another +1 for subbing out to a pro. Makes all the difference. I've tried doing them myself and I've used crappy budget guys in the past and the results were subpar at best. Using a good separator makes it almost as easy as printing a spot color job. Bold statement, I know, but they'll tell you what mesh, what colors to use, when to flash, etc and if you follow their directions it's a breeze. I do a sim process job maybe twice a year and always send them to Dan for the seps and the results always amaze me. I envy the skill and hope to be able to do it in-house one day but until then I charge the customer for seps or roll it into the price.

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2019, 09:13:16 AM »
We use a combo of sep studio and photoshop to do seps. All sep studio seps are tweaked after by Shelly. We've used Dan and My Seps and such and no question their work is better as it should be. They have been doing it a lot longer, but not night and day. Nearly every job we print is sim process, so no way we could logically send it all out.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2019, 11:19:19 AM »
I do the high end stuff here, and I'll use UltraSeps, and Hi-Fi Ink, for the seps, then tweak in Photoshop. I can also sep from scratch in Photoshop, but it's so tedious, and the packages do the bulk of the work there. Like most tools, knowing how to use them is the real key. In your case, like Pierre, I might send them to a reputable guy like Dan, but play around on your own. If price matters, Hi-Fi Ink is only $225.00, and gives you a lot. Jay is also a pretty nice guy when you need help.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't