Author Topic: Do we still count???  (Read 717 times)

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Do we still count???
« on: February 18, 2019, 03:17:27 PM »
Apparently not officially any more

This news sneaked by me last week
https://www.sfgate.com/business/article/Stop-the-presses-Commercial-printers-and-other-13601142.php
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Do we still count???
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2019, 03:41:46 PM »
As most know, I have a letter press, book press, and Intaglio. Tomorrow I need to look for letters. They are hard to find. None of this will make me wealthy (I suppose) but yes, this stuff does count. Oh and there is serigraph and shirt printing. Many make a great living on that!
Might want to look on that soon!

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2019, 03:56:51 PM »
Give it a few years...it will only have 2 options...Amazon or Non-Amazon.

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2019, 04:02:40 PM »
Good read. Yes change is not coming it is here now.

Offline balloonguy

• !!!
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2019, 04:05:03 PM »
If I don't count can I stop paying my taxes?  ;D

When you dig grave will you make it shallow so that I can feel the rain?

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2019, 05:57:20 PM »
Once upon a time I signed up for a free business seminar offered by my county economic development office and presented by a small business expert from the Great State of New York.

As the presenter rolled out the finer details of the program often referring to and using the term "small business" it got harder and harder to relate to the information she was presenting. None of the facts , rules and specifics offered seemed to fit the expectations and reality that were elements in my world.

I was not alone in this confusion and when one of the many of us that were caught in the glare of the presenter's headlights asked "what does New York consider  to be a small business the answer was staggering.

It seems that in The Great State of New York the threshold that forms the foundation of the "small business" definition starts at 10 million dollars.

Given that definition and the reality that I am sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo not a small business I am not the least amount surprised as a screen printer I, we, no longer create an identity or show up on a tracking radar.
mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline Maff

• !!!
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2019, 08:44:57 PM »
Yeah despite my sign saying "custom screen printing and embroidery" we are all really just a sub category of Apparel Decorators, I wonder if that is tracked by the labor department? It's never going to stop evolving. DTG might as well be old at this point, what's coming next?!

Offline Pangea

• !!!
  • Jack of all trades, master of none.
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2019, 11:23:43 AM »
Printing workers are squeezed by falling demand - Americans don't mail as many cards or hand out as many brochures as they once did.

Based on how much junk mail we get I find this hard to believe. Also reminds me I have to order more business cards today.