Author Topic: Glitter Inks and Longevity  (Read 1842 times)

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Glitter Inks and Longevity
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2019, 07:25:49 AM »
have a third solution. . . order CAD Cut from Stahl's. It is the most glittery thing you've ever seen and will withstand washing. We stopped printing glitter once we found their product.

pierre

Did you ever test any water base metallics/glitters?

We have found them to be far better and better washing then plastisol stuff
Yes, we use the waterbased metallics, but have not tried the glitter. I should probably order some.
Pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline tse1990

• !!!
  • Verified/Junior
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2019, 09:12:37 AM »
Not for everyone however WB glitters IMO are superior to their plastisol compadres. Virus, Union, Matsui, and others. Most offer a catalyst which can offer superior adhesion. Downside is shelf life with the ink when catalyzed. I have learned to avoid this component and maintain standards for garment manufacturers such as Zumba Fitness on performance fabrics. If needed, half of the recommended amount is usually acceptable (depending on the ink) Higher mesh is possible depending on partical size. Sixty mesh can quite often great detail without mesh patterns.

And yes, for the plastisol people there are glitter bases with which you can add flakes.

We're using Epic - Liquid Silver. Haven't tried any water-based glitters or metallics. Do you print that over a discharge UB?

We get about 2-4 washes in before the print fades noticably. Hot water, high heat, etc just like a customer. I'll test one in cold water and delicate dry over the weekend.

I want to bring it up because I don't think anyone else has yet, has anyone printed a clear base over glitter ink? Does it help with longevity?

Thanks for all the replies helpful and hilarious!

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2019, 09:36:10 AM »
BTW the Virus Hydra Glitter Base is a great product. Meadowbrook has been a go to for glitter products however I believe they may have gone to the vendor option.