Author Topic: Glitter Inks and Longevity  (Read 1845 times)

Offline tse1990

• !!!
  • Verified/Junior
Glitter Inks and Longevity
« on: March 07, 2019, 12:17:52 PM »
It's probably been discussed at length on the board already, but how do you get glitter inks to last more than a few washes??

Answers relating to on-press solutions or customer care tips both welcome!

Thanks in advance!

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Glitter Inks and Longevity
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2019, 12:49:54 PM »
have a third solution. . . order CAD Cut from Stahl's. It is the most glittery thing you've ever seen and will withstand washing. We stopped printing glitter once we found their product.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2019, 12:55:58 PM »
have a third solution. . . order CAD Cut from Stahl's. It is the most glittery thing you've ever seen and will withstand washing. We stopped printing glitter once we found their product.

pierre

...........and it works great for "Rip away Applique" for embroidery. we use tons of that stuff...
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2019, 01:29:06 PM »
and, your shop will be cleaner avoiding "Glitter, the gift that keeps on giving"!
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline tse1990

• !!!
  • Verified/Junior
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2019, 01:48:05 PM »

pierre

Thanks for weighing in guys! So you cut, pick, and press for large orders too? I like the idea for 12-48 shirts but what about 1000?

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2019, 02:05:50 PM »
We use stahls glitter vinyl also, but we still every now and then print glitter inks because it's in the design where a heat seal vinyl want work.  Sir Frog you are so right it stays with you like relatives ;D
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 02:50:10 PM by 3Deep »
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2019, 02:09:31 PM »

pierre

Thanks for weighing in guys! So you cut, pick, and press for large orders too? I like the idea for 12-48 shirts but what about 1000?

best printable glitter I have ever seen / used is from One Stroke.....24 mesh and good to go.
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2019, 02:11:32 PM »
It's probably been discussed at length on the board already, but how do you get glitter inks to last more than a few washes??

Answers relating to on-press solutions or customer care tips both welcome!

Do you know if your customers are following the universal laundering advice for all decorated gaments and turning them inside-out, avoiding some of the naturally occurring abrasion? Especially important with this stuff!
In fact, you may want to do some tests yourself. Might even need to go to a gentle wash cycle.

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2019, 02:14:15 PM »
I second the one stroke suggestion.  Biggest thing with glitter is you have to cure longer than standard plastisol.  It seems to reflect a lot of the heat...

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2019, 02:32:46 PM »
I second the one stroke suggestion.  Biggest thing with glitter is you have to cure longer than standard plastisol.  It seems to reflect a lot of the heat...

All metallics and shimmers, and other sparklies reflect some of the heat.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2019, 03:01:51 PM »
One Stroke has some great inks, but dang they are high...my invoice for a gal of ELT-S white  :o few more bucks I could have gotten a 5gal from another ink company.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline DannyGruninger

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2019, 03:17:57 PM »

pierre

Did you ever test any water base metallics/glitters?

We have found them to be far better and better washing then plastisol stuff
Danny Gruninger
Denver Print House / Lakewood Colorado
https://www.instagram.com/denverprinthouse

Offline numbercruncher

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2019, 04:12:31 PM »
Does anyone still buy the glitter flakes (used to be available in sizes which dictated your mesh) and mix it into the ink ? Allowed you additional control
Michael Jirasek
Independent Consultant
708-227-5084
jirs23m@hotmail.com

Offline Northland

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2019, 05:22:38 PM »
and, your shop will be cleaner avoiding "Glitter, the gift that keeps on giving"!
ahh...  glitter. My wife refers to it as:  "the herpes of the craft world"

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2019, 04:53:07 AM »
Not for everyone however WB glitters IMO are superior to their plastisol compadres. Virus, Union, Matsui, and others. Most offer a catalyst which can offer superior adhesion. Downside is shelf life with the ink when catalyzed. I have learned to avoid this component and maintain standards for garment manufacturers such as Zumba Fitness on performance fabrics. If needed, half of the recommended amount is usually acceptable (depending on the ink) Higher mesh is possible depending on partical size. Sixty mesh can quite often great detail without mesh patterns.

And yes, for the plastisol people there are glitter bases with which you can add flakes.