Author Topic: Monday Morning...  (Read 2023 times)

Offline whitewater

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Monday Morning...
« on: March 11, 2019, 09:57:55 AM »
Received an email from someone here local. A basketball team had names put on Nike Backpacks. We did not do them....

Whomever did them spelled a names wrong. So this person send me an email about wanting us to take the name out and put in the correct spelling. I was being generous with the quote of $30..

She doesn't want to pay that much...She said she already paid for the name...

I repeat, we did not do these. I received no $$ for this job!  LOL

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Monday Morning...
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2019, 10:06:37 AM »
 :o....

I hear the Carolina's are nice this time of year  ;D...... :-X
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline whitewater

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2019, 10:34:28 AM »
why yes.... yes it is.... I got to get outta ny

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2019, 10:41:02 AM »
Good one, we had a school come for a quote we didn't get the job, then weeks later they come in and ask us to can we fix the shirts the company they went with messed up YEAH RIGHT LOL!!!!!!!!
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2019, 11:03:08 AM »
Over the years I have tried to help out folks when I can....And I think the "good karma" I have created has been worth it to me....They are not likely to go back to the folks that screwed up next year....But by a small gesture like this they might come to you....

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2019, 11:10:21 AM »
Over the years I have tried to help out folks when I can....And I think the "good karma" I have created has been worth it to me....They are not likely to go back to the folks that screwed up next year....But by a small gesture like this they might come to you....

Or you ruin the bag trying to get the name out and then end up with a pissed off soccer mom that wants you to buy a whole new bag...

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2019, 11:16:29 AM »
Over the years I also have tried to help out folks....And I think the "good karma" I have created has been worth it to me....They are not likely to go back to the folks that screwed up next year....But by a small gesture like this they might come to you....

Brad touched on similar points whuile I was composing this.

I agree about "small gestures" and "good karma", but sometimes, fixing vinyl errors is not only way more trouble than it's worth, but not even completely successful as often, the old images linger, or some fabrics remain discolored or "ringed".
So, besides charging a reasonable amount (for you more than them) always go in with both your and the client's eyes wide open and prepared for less than stellar results, just in case.
Murphy loves this business!
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2019, 12:09:19 PM »
I usually explain that there is really no good way to do this. If anything, I'd cover the name with a block of the closest thing I have, and then put the name on, but really, it's never, ever going to look like the others. But, the kid's name will be spelled right, which is important, as my last name is misspelled under my picture in my high school yearbook, no sh!t... She really needs to go back to the original printer.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline whitewater

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2019, 12:14:59 PM »
I usually explain that there is really no good way to do this. If anything, I'd cover the name with a block of the closest thing I have, and then put the name on, but really, it's never, ever going to look like the others. But, the kid's name will be spelled right, which is important, as my last name is misspelled under my picture in my high school yearbook, no sh!t... She really needs to go back to the original printer.

Steve
this is what said.. 

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2019, 01:30:52 PM »
I agree.....Go back to the original decorator and have them fix it. Depends on who made the mistake(s). "I looked at the proof but did not read it" does not fly in my airplane. Perhaps it might gain a new client so there is that to consider as well.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2019, 01:51:22 PM »
I agree.....Go back to the original decorator and have them fix it. Depends on who made the mistake(s). "I looked at the proof but did not read it" does not fly in my airplane. Perhaps it might gain a new client so there is that to consider as well.

Some leagues provide the jerseys and bags/backpacks and include the personalization. That adds an additional layer to the problem-solving-onion
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline numbercruncher

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2019, 03:57:13 PM »
Lots of solid suggestions already given. Always a tough call - who wants to negotiate price on fixing another company's mistake. That said, as this is described as a "local" account and you might want to pursue it - perhaps you could ask for 1 bag to test(that does not need to be returned and see if you might be able to rescue them from this fiasco - make sure whatever name is to be affixed that they put in writing and sign off on the accuracy....good luck !
If they are already a Nike account - let them fix it!
Michael Jirasek
Independent Consultant
708-227-5084
jirs23m@hotmail.com

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2019, 04:04:57 PM »
True and as mentioned, often the error is on the end user or broker(or both). So down the rabbit hole on situations such as this. Chase the documentation and hope for the best! Personally, I am usually unwilling to fix other peoples problems. I have never seen it to lead to increased business. Reminds me of the soccer ball debacle at IBG long ago. Subbed out to an Asian company and left out a letter at the end. Had to build a custom ball rig and laser placement to fix it on site in Charleston. Also lacquer based ink did not help.
It was fixed at no cost and never saw any business from them ever. Your experience may vary but as my wise mother says says....Watch your Waffles. They can burn easily.
tp

Offline farmboygraphics

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2019, 04:50:57 PM »
Hard pass.
Tees and Coffee

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2019, 05:25:22 PM »
Your court!