Author Topic: Monday Morning...  (Read 2020 times)

Online tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Monday Morning...
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2019, 01:05:41 AM »
:o....

I hear the Carolina's are nice this time of year  ;D...... :-X
Yes they are indeed

Online Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2019, 09:08:58 AM »
"If you are not happy doing the job, you are not charging enough"

option 1) go back to the original provider for repair/replace

option 2) pay me what it's worth to do it right

option 3) live with the typo and learn to buy local.
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2019, 10:55:35 AM »
I agree with Tpep, I've fixed some jobs before and yep they usually run right back to the same people that screwed them in the first place when they get another order done, we might have gotten one maybe two jobs over the years.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Audifox

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2019, 01:15:40 PM »

^^^^^^^^ This

Online tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2019, 11:06:10 PM »
I agree with Tpep, I've fixed some jobs before and yep they usually run right back to the same people that screwed them in the first place when they get another order done, we might have gotten one maybe two jobs over the years.
And that is usually due to price point. Overseas work may be attractive however there are sometimes language barriers. Easy fix is to approve jpegs etc. Was not always an option earlier but it should be required these days.

Offline Nation03

• Gonzo Member
  • The Dude abides.
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2019, 08:36:41 AM »

100%. May not be good karma, but I would of put the email in the spam folder as soon as I read it. There's just a certain type of person you can tell is going to be trouble before you even try to help. As the cliche goes, trust your gut.

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2019, 09:57:49 AM »
and the custy said  She doesn't want to pay that much...She said she already paid for the name...
WOW how about that logic.......I hurt so much I need you to share some of my pain.
What my gut tells me is that custy was the source for the names list given to the original printer and she spelled it wrong and the printer copied it correctly. Now she can't go and squeeze the original printer to fix it, they probably told her we need to start all over with a new bag at a bunch more than $30.00.  ;)

We used to see something similar years ago around Christmas time. Customers would come in with stockings they bought for their kids and wanted embroidered names added to each. We would give the price they would say "wow that much I paid $2.00 for the stocking I don't understand why the name should be 5 times the price of the stocking?
mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Online tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2019, 11:00:36 AM »
As printmaker of zero fame I can relate to this. The framing can often equal or more the cost of the artwork. I recently sold a piece for $80.00. Framing cost almost twice that!

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2019, 11:26:36 AM »
As printmaker of zero fame I can relate to this. The framing can often equal or more the cost of the artwork. I recently sold a piece for $80.00. Framing cost almost twice that!

I remember an episode of "Lovejoy" (in which Ian McShane plays a charming semi-shady antique dealer). No one could understand why he was working so hard to obtain a certain mediocre painting, until it turned out, you guessed it, it was the frame he was after!
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2019, 07:17:59 PM »
We would either do it for free, or not do it at all.

This is something I would not want to do. And the $30 isn't going to make it worth it for me. So if I did not think this could get my foot in the door for something that could be really good down the line, I would tell them unfortunately this isn't something we do here.

If I thought this could be a good opportunity, I would do it but I wouldn't charge them anything and make it very obvious I did them a big favor. I find that when you give someone a real good deal on something that you don't want to do, no matter what you tell them they think they did you a favor by bringing you business. It also opens the door for them to come to you next time this happens. And saying no then will be even harder. This also makes it easier if there is any damage to the garment (hey I did this for free). I tell them up front that there is a good chance of some type of damage happening. I'd rather them think I'm a hero when it comes out fine, then be upset when there is some ringing.

Offline Audifox

« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2019, 01:21:54 PM »
We would either do it for free, or not do it at all.

This is something I would not want to do. And the $30 isn't going to make it worth it for me. So if I did not think this could get my foot in the door for something that could be really good down the line, I would tell them unfortunately this isn't something we do here.

If I thought this could be a good opportunity, I would do it but I wouldn't charge them anything and make it very obvious I did them a big favor. I find that when you give someone a real good deal on something that you don't want to do, no matter what you tell them they think they did you a favor by bringing you business. It also opens the door for them to come to you next time this happens. And saying no then will be even harder. This also makes it easier if there is any damage to the garment (hey I did this for free). I tell them up front that there is a good chance of some type of damage happening. I'd rather them think I'm a hero when it comes out fine, then be upset when there is some ringing.

I have done this in the past, but have never gotten any work out of it.
And next time there is a screw up they'll come to you cause you fixed it for free..... :o

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2019, 02:10:51 PM »
Small orders and customer supplied garments generally are the orders that crash and burn here.  It's like our Achilles heel.  I spend a good portion of my day explaining to people why I don't want to do their stuff. 

Offline Prince Art

« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2019, 10:32:16 AM »
I'm still a little surprised by the $30 price tag - generous indeed. That's lower than what I charge for one-offs for friends! (Excluding freebies...) It may be because I'm a tiny shop, but I don't do anything but talk for less than about $150. We don't technically have minimums, but pricing is kept so that we only do tiny jobs for people who really want it. High-maintenance, nickle & dime customers can tie up resources to the point of crippling us - I try to avoid that!
Nice guys laugh last.

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2019, 11:10:57 AM »
Small orders and customer supplied garments generally are the orders that crash and burn here.  It's like our Achilles heel. I spend a good portion of my day explaining to people why I don't want to do their stuff.

YUP, I have this conversation with folks at least once a week..... don't like to be rude and just tell them NO,  so I take the longer route to jibber jabber my time  away.
mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.